Thread: Cooling the Carbon Cub- turbopilot posts

Default Cooling the Carbon Cub- turbopilot posts

Just reading the many posts from 2010 on Cooling the Carbon Cub. Had mine since 2014
    and still struggling to be happy with how the engine runs. I retarded the ignition a year ago
    per Cubcrafters and lowered the CHT's by maybe 20 Deg. I don't feel like the airplane performs
    as well as it did and it takes the joy out of flying it. I switch between my C185/ IO 520 and the Cub
    so maybe the comparison makes it seem to be not as smooth as I remember it 300 hours ago.
    I am considering going back the the original timing. Lightspeed recommends changing the ignition
    wires at 3 years or 500 hours. I'm at 4 years and haven't changed them. Doing the annual this month.
    The only other change is the induction system mod. Any ideas?

Default Re: Cooling the Carbon Cub- turbopilot posts

I reset the timing on my 2010 bird last year and did see a small increase in temps,but very little if any performance decrease. Make sure the compressions are good as well, I just found a failed intake valve on my number 1 cylinder while pulling it thru on a preflight....previous flight felt like she was low on power...but the run up was good.Compression ended up being 55/80 when I pulled the cowl. What are your EGT/CHTs doing? What RPM are you getting at static and cruise?Check the crankcase vent for blockage also. Check your intake system for leaks...you can use a shop vac in reverse and a soap/water solution for this. Sounds like you might possibly have something else going on here. (My engine has 400 hours )
    Last edited by Snoopy; 12-07-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Here’s what I wrote about the leads in a different thread:

I had noticed an occasional miss that seemed to be ignition related so changed spark plugs as they were about due for a change anyway. The miss persisted. CC and Lightspeed recommend changing sparkpkug leads after 500 hours and I had not done that. So I ordered a new set and put them in last month. After a few hours of flying with the new leads the miss seems to be gone.

I'll not go over 500 hours on this set. They were about $180 so not expensive either.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

It’s also worth replacing the plastic fitting where the MAP sensor connects behind the instrument panel on the right side...I found mine broken last summer after a low speed miss was happening on my bird...mine was a lean misfire on cyl#3 since it was sucking air from the broken fitting. I replaced the hoses there as well. Spark advance vacuum comes from #3 cylinder for the Lightspeed system