Thread: What is wrong with me?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What is wrong with me?

I have a great PA-18 Supercub. Actually is it Supercub #17 build in December 1949. 90HP with Tarver (aeromatic prop).

Off the ground in 300', cruise at 100mph. No flaps, no electrical, light as a feather.

But ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT is building an EX3.

What is wrong with me?

Default Re: What is wrong with me?

Quote Originally Posted by wjohnson720 View Post
    I have a great PA-18 Supercub. Actually is it Supercub #17 build in December 1949. 90HP with Tarver (aeromatic prop).

Off the ground in 300', cruise at 100mph. No flaps, no electrical, light as a feather.

What is wrong with me?
    We need to talk!!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    We need to talk!!!
    Chip, great to hear from you. However, I think you are the source of my illness!

The ride last summer at OSH was just long enough to enjoy that great FX3 performance but short enough to leave me wanting MUCH MORE!

The timing was bad on the kit you had due to large workload at home. But slowly getting caught up. I have read and watched every FX3/EX3 video and story I could find. Also, gained some experience with the carbon cub working on Sidney's.

Some things I don't like on the EX3 engine. I am old school and like the old ways. Magnetos, widely available cylinders, certified engine/prop combination, oil filter optional, carburetor, etc.

Now, I am probably at risk of getting thrown off the forum! I just spoke crazy talk to may people. Most won't understand why and will attempt to convince me I am wrong. That is fine . . . I alway listen.

I have lived through so many aviation experiences since getting my pilots license in 1982 and A&P/IA 15 years ago. Worked with my dad and grandfather on small planes since very young. I know what I want . . .

So, a couple questions.

1. I plan to start with wing kit, extended tanks. Does the covering material come with that kit. I would like to finish the wings and tail feathers through silver prior to starting fuselage. I realize that has some drawbacks.

2. Regarding above, can I purchase the tail feathers separate from the fuselage kit?

3. Can I purchase the Lycoming O-360-C1G engine setup for my EX3. What would the cost be for that engine kit?

Chip, you are having a bad influence on my finances but a good influence on my future fun. I am hooked . . . I will be starting sometime next year.

Best Regards,
    Bill Johnson A&P/IA
    Happy PA-18 Owner but wanting more
    Happy Meyers 200B Owner but wanting more

Good talking to you today Bill. Sorry about your EX-3 illness but there is only one cure I know of....
    I can answer every future question you have about the kit process and if I can't then I know who can. As we discussed and for others who may need the info here is my contact information:
    Steve Michael
    Steve@SWTAviation.com
    423-290-1522

I am near the local airport, Dallas Bay Skypark, 1A0. That's about 10 miles north of the main Chattanooga airport, CHA.
    I will take delivery of my EX-3 kit on January 14th and you or anyone else who might be interested in seeing inside the box is welcome to drive down or fly-in and let me pick you up at 1A0 or even CHA for that matter. Since you had engine questions, I will also have the Factory engine and we can open the box and let you drool in it and take pictures and see how it might compare to what you have in mind to do. Be warned though-- once you see it you will probably decide that is the route you will go. See you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    We need to talk!!!
    ***WARNING***

Talking to Chip can be dangerous to your wealth!

Hahahahaha!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmorris View Post
    ***WARNING***

Talking to Chip can be dangerous to your wealth!
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Quote Originally Posted by wjohnson720 View Post

What is wrong with me?
    OMG you must be normal.