Thread: Newbie question - Forgive me

Default Newbie question - Forgive me

I have searched on the forum as well as other locations and haven't found an answer to this specific question. I am not currently a pilot but am planning to start flight training shortly. I am considering using one of the online ground school options and am leaning toward Sporty's. Do any of you have any experience with their program, or any of the others? Any wisdom you can give me on this process is much appreciated.

This is where the newbie part comes in. I assumed it would benefit me to purchase all of the items I need as their "learn to fly kit." https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/sp...it-online.html
    Do I need all of these items, or would you recommend just purchasing the training course and purchasing the other items as needed?

Thank you

Rees

Default Re: Newbie question - Forgive me

Hi, Rees;

Sporty's has some really good courses. I have several customers who used them, and they were very satisfied, although sometimes difficult to talk to a "real person" if you have a problem.

In addition I would check out Gleim. They are located in Gainesville, FL and the owner, Irv Gleim is a big fan of taildraggers and Cubs. https://www.gleimaviation.com/pilot-.../private-pilot is the link for them. As to purchasing a "package", I think as you move through the course, your thoughts about the options and accessories will change. I think you buy those as you progress.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Thanks Chip,
    I will look at them as well. As for the accessories, I appreciate the advice. I had no clue what would be needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    Hi, Rees;

Sporty's has some really good courses. I have several customers who used them, and they were very satisfied, although sometimes difficult to talk to a "real person" if you have a problem.

In addition I would check out Gleim. They are located in Gainesville, FL and the owner, Irv Gleim is a big fan of taildraggers and Cubs. https://www.gleimaviation.com/pilot-.../private-pilot is the link for them. As to purchasing a "package", I think as you move through the course, your thoughts about the options and accessories will change. I think you buy those as you progress.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keneston View Post
    Your
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keneston View Post
    instructor should look into these probiotics made for men and have a good read on the basics you need with no xtra fluff. I suggest the online study course as a thorough process however you can get the needed books, study regularly and then do a weekend cram course to prepare for the written. Get the written out of the way quickly and efficiently and you will feel better about your progress. Congrats too on joining the ranks.

The accessories advice actually makes a lot of sense, Chip. I'm going to do that too. Never thought about it from that perspective.
    Last edited by Cristobal; 10-17-2023 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristobal View Post
    The accessories advice actually makes a lot of sense, Chip. I'm going to do that too. Never thought about it from that perspective.
    Your instructor should have a good read on the basics you need with no xtra fluff. I suggest the online study course as a thorough process however you can get the needed books, study regularly and then do a weekend cram course to prepare for the written. Get the written out of the way quickly and efficiently and you will feel better about your progress. Congrats too on joining the ranks.
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Best book for anyone flying, newbie to ATP

I find Sportys to be over priced, they want $50 for this same great book. Same with the other items you want, I'd get them from some other supplier. Or ask around the airport for used, nobody uses that stuff after the test.

Glenn
    Last edited by Cubdriver2; 02-18-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    Best book for anyone flying, newbie to ATP

https://www.thriftbooks.com/shopping-cart/

I find Sportys to be over priced, they want $50 for this same great book. Same with the other items you want, I'd get them from some other supplier. Or ask around the airport for used, nobody uses that stuff after the test.

Glenn
    agree with Cubdriver2 just be sure info is current and up to date
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

I have no experience with the Sporty's products but I would bet they are a good resource. Three decades ago when I was pursuing a Private license I used a combination of Piper, Cessna, Kershner, Gleim, and Jeppessen materials. All were good and I referenced all of them in the years following. A few years later when I decided to make a career out of flying, I used Gleim materials exclusively for my instrument rating all the way through ATP. I just found the Gleim products very good and at a good value, plus I can't fault the results. Hope that helps if you haven't decided yet.