Thread: Required tools for an EX3 build?

Question Required tools for an EX3 build?

First post...I'm looking to start an EX3 build with my son this coming summer. This will be a first build for the both of us. We're going to spend the holiday break sectioning off a portion of our basement to dedicate to the project (lots of space and ample room to get whatever we build back out).

I've been doing some searching on the forum regarding required tools to complete this project. Best I could find was a mention from a few year old post "There is a list out there of basic required tools. I can't find it right now but I'm sure someone at the factory can post a link." http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...required+tools

Any chance someone has that or a similar link handy? If not, I'm wondering what the collective group might think we'd need beyond the traditional wrench, hammer, screw driver, drill set.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Patrick

Default Re: Required tools for an EX3 build?

Originally there was a kit put together with Avery Tools, who recently closed their business.
    Cleaveland tools took up the rein and offer this kit now.

It won't have everything you need but is a very good place to start. It may be possible to customise it if you want to make deletions or additions.

Cleaveland Tool rivet squeezer is worth every penny. Highly recommended.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Main-S...uctinfo/SCH22/

David

Thanks, all! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    Cleaveland Tool rivet squeezer is worth every penny. Highly recommended.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Main-S...uctinfo/SCH22/

David
    you might also try the yard store. lots of new & used from aircraft factory's here in Wichita.
    I can also supply piloted reamers. They are lots easier to use than trying to pull them backwards.

https://www.yardstore.com/?gclid=Cj0...waAiq0EALw_wcB

Hi Patrick. I tried to hit on some of the tools in this thread as well along with some links

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...mp-Hints/page8

Quote Originally Posted by ptredway View Post
    First post...I'm looking to start an EX3 build with my son this coming summer. This will be a first build for the both of us. We're going to spend the holiday break sectioning off a portion of our basement to dedicate to the project (lots of space and ample room to get whatever we build back out).

I've been doing some searching on the forum regarding required tools to complete this project. Best I could find was a mention from a few year old post "There is a list out there of basic required tools. I can't find it right now but I'm sure someone at the factory can post a link." http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...required+tools

Any chance someone has that or a similar link handy? If not, I'm wondering what the collective group might think we'd need beyond the traditional wrench, hammer, screw driver, drill set.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Patrick
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Hi Patrick. I tried to hit on some of the tools in this thread as well along with some links

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...mp-Hints/page8

I replied earlier but I just found it failed to post. Most of the tools I have are Cleveland as well the same brand I got from CubCrafters. There are special tools like clekos and blind riveters and other items like clamps to structure and install the leading edge skins. All worthwhile. You may also want to acquire a wing rotator or build one. These while not required, sure help make things easier which produces less stress and in the end, a nicer finished product. You can search our forum here for used tools and also SuperCub.Org forum. Also watch for a post right here from our Kit Manager Mitch. He likely has a complete tool list. Thanks Yankee1
    Last edited by Mark Keneston; 12-04-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Hi Dave,

You're absolutely right and my apologies for not mentioning that in this thread already. I had read your entire series of posts a number of weeks ago and that portion was lost in the world-wind of info gathering I've been doing.

Thanks again!

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keneston View Post
    ... Thanks Yankee1
    Hi Mark,

I'm really looking forward to following your build! I have no doubt that I'll be acquiring wing and fuselage rotators at the relevant points. I've watched far too many build videos to have any illusions that I want to attempt this without that.

I caught up with Chip today and he referred me out to the Cleveland list. I assume this will be pretty similar if not identical to what Mitch may suggest.

If you ever decide that you need to recruit some help during your build, please reach out. You're not all that far away!

Thanks!

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I started my EX3 build in September. Once you get the Dropbox link from Mitch you will also find a list of items you will need in the manuals as well as plans for saw horse etc. I follow Dave Embry's Tips & Hints thread religiously it has been invaluable!! If Dave Recommends/Mentions a tool I've ordered it. I also built a couple of the EAA workbenches ( a google search should turn up plans) before I started. I added wheels to them and they work great.

Dave