Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G3X Touch Screen frozen

Default G3X Touch Screen frozen

After a 3 hour flight yesterday, and returning home I re-fueled. I usually shut down all but IBBS. Went to the fuel totalizer screen to reset fuel levels, and the Garmin G3X touch screen was frozen. I re-booted, the screen worked briefly, but then again became inoperable. The touch screen totally unresponsive, and even the "back" soft button would not work.

The screen seems clean, and the software is uptodate. Any thoughts, or experience with this problem. Will call Garmin support Monday. Happy 4th!

Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyV; 07-05-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Default Re: G3X Touch Screen frozen

today, seems to work normally...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
    The touch screen totally unresponsive, and even the "back" soft button would not work.
    I haven't seen this problem but, if I did, I would try all the knobs and buttons not just the "back" button. As a last resort you could try pressing all buttons except DIRECT TO (simultaneous press of Nearest, Menu, and Back) . This forces a re-boot in a way different from cycling power. That's not a fix but it may give Garmin information that would help diagnose the problem.

Either way I expect your display will be taking a trip to Garmin. I hope it's under warranty.

The unit, yesterday was completely unresponsive. The screen was on, but none of the buttons, knobs on the unit nor touchscreen were operable. As noted, today the unit is behaving normally. If it in fact has a 3 year warranty, I should be good- its about 18 months old. Thanks!

The unit, yesterday was completely unresponsive. The screen was on, but none of the buttons, knobs on the unit nor touchscreen were operable. As noted, today the unit is behaving normally. If it in fact has a 3 year warranty, I should be good- its about 18 months old. Thanks!
    Was the display unusually hot after the 3 hour flight? Do you hear the fan run when the display is going through the boot routine when first powered?

Have you looked at the SD card log for that flight? Have you downloaded the display's internal flight log to the SD card? The internal log will be over-written and lost so best to download that ASAP in case it contains any information that may be useful to Garmin.

It was a hot day but usual for south Florida, the unit was warm but didn't seem unusually hot. I wasn't aware there is memory other than whats stored on the SD card, so I can look into that.

I'll look at those items tomorrow, and hopefully speak with Garmin support and Cubcrafters. Thanks for input!

It was a hot day but usual for south Florida, the unit was warm but didn't seem unusually hot. I wasn't aware there is memory other than whats stored on the SD card, so I can look into that.

I'll look at those items tomorrow, and hopefully speak with Garmin support and Cubcrafters. Thanks for input!
    You have to go into config mode to download the internal log. See attached:
    Attached Files Attached Files

1. Fan runs when boots up.
    2. Internal memory downloaded to SD card, Thanks Andy!
    3. Tried looking at data on SD card, but it quickly unmounts on my computer.
    4. Will try to speak with Garmin/Cubcrafters today, they have been off for the holiday.
    5. Even though it seems to be working, not sure I'd fly until resolved.

3. Tried looking at data on SD card, but it quickly unmounts on my computer.

5. Even though it seems to be working, not sure I'd fly until resolved.
    Re 3. The SD card should be readable with any Windows computer. The downloaded file should be in the fdr_log directory and will have a name similar to "fdr_20200624_012732.csv". The file will be large and it will not load into my old version of Excel. It loads ok with LibreOffice. The format is similar to the normal logs that are stored in the data_log directory but format is not identical and it may include more parameters.

Re 5. I was never comfortable with the lack of redundancy in the standard G3-X panel. My top priority when I got my FX-3 home was to fit a G5.

Garmin support (G3xpert) is reviewing all logged data from my G3x touch , asked me to try to reproduce screen freeze by removing SD card, and trying other SD cards. Thus far, the screen hasn't frozen again. Not sure what the solution is.