Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mark builds "Yankee One" in Saratoga, NY. Are You Ready For This?

Default Mark builds "Yankee One" in Saratoga, NY. Are You Ready For This?

Mark Kenesten is CubCrafters’ Sales Manager in the Great Lakes/Northeast Territory
    In June, 2018 I considered the possibility of building a Carbon Cub EX-3 kit. I’ve been selling these things for a few years, and though I feel like I know the airplane pretty well from a pilot’s perspective, I would like to be better able to discuss the nuts & bolts… the details of construction, with more authority and I think that building the kit would be an invaluable education, and a fun project too! As the Northeast winter approaches, I’ll have some more down time. This might be be a great opportunity to keep busy and get my hands into a kit. I am no stranger to mechanical work. I was working on small outboard motors with my dad in marinas starting at 8 years old, and other projects such as snowmobiles and cars too. After I made a proposal, the senior leadership at CubCrafters agreed this will be a worthy project.

I tell prospective kit builders, “You can do it!” It’s time to prove the axiom to myself.

Both of the Carbon Cub EX kits are assembly projects, NOT fabrication projects. Even with modest skills, you (and I) too can build an airplane and in the process, save some pesos, bucks, dinero, geetus, Benjamins, frogskins, greenbacks, bread, clams… CASH BABY! Will it take some time? Yes. I anticipate 800-1000 man hours, but I must wrap my head around this and form a plan. Will I work 3 hours a day? 6 hours? More? Whatever it is, stick to the plan. My intent is to have this machine done and ready for my big reveal next summer.

Keep in mind, this is a big commitment for me, and I’m a bit nervous about it. I’ve already ordered the kit, rented space in a local hangar, and started collecting some specialized tools and supplies for the build. I’ll refer to other builders’ logs on the CubCrafters EX Forum, like those from ceslaw and Daveembry. There is also continuing discussion on the Forum from current and past builders. Of course I’ll rely heavily on CubCrafters’ technical support guru, Mitch Travis, as well.

I believe I am ready to start. Stay tuned and look for many updates here on this Forum, on my BLOG, Facebook, and more. The CubCrafters team will field your questions and keep you updated. I’m excited to bring to you the play-by-play of my construction of Yankee One!

Last edited by John Whitish; 11-16-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Default Re: Mark builds "Yankee One" in Saratoga, NY. Are You Ready For This?

Good luck, Mark! Im sure it will turn out really well!
    Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Good luck, Mark! Im sure it will turn out really well!
    Rick
    So far so good. Cameras are here, just need the truck with the big box. Thanks Boss!
    Cub Crafters

I'm excited for you!! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

That's great Mark-
    Now I have a local builder to call on!

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by garrybrown View Post
    That's great Mark-
    Now I have a local builder to call on!

Garry
    Let's see if he can get the box opened first
    Last edited by 40m; 11-20-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Let's see if he can get the box opened first
    Yankee One arrived today at 10:30am. It was 25F with25 mph winds and snow squalls. Once unloaded, we put it in place in the hanger and began the inventory process. Watch for the blog posts and live updates. Happy Thanksgiving! MK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cub Crafters

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keneston View Post
    Yankee One arrived today at 10:30am. It was 25F with25 mph winds and snow squalls. Once unloaded, we put it in place in the hanger and began the inventory process. Watch for the blog posts and live updates. Happy Thanksgiving! MK
    My goal was to build the plane as well as they packed that kit! Happy Thanksgiving. Lots to be grateful for!

Nice Mark. Look forward to seeing this go together.

That's awesome! I hope to be not to far behind you. So what exactly is in the crate you received? I assume the wing, fuselage, and finishing kits? What "sub-kit" does the fabric to cover the wings and fuselage come in? Thx