Thread: Headsets 2018?

Default Headsets 2018?

I've read so many headset reviews from so many places! What do you like for the Carbon Cub in a Bluetooth, ANR headset?

I need good intracockpit communication and external radio communications; not so concerned about in-flight music. Bose? Zulu 3? David Clark? Something else? LEMO connector? Coiled vs. straight cord?

Thanks kindly for sharing your thoughts,
    John

Default Re: Headsets 2018?

I spend over 400 hours a year in a Carbon Cub and I can tell you I've tried pretty much all of them and I keep coming back to my Bose A20 for the best sound and noise canceling of them all. The Lightspeed Zulu actually fit me slightly better but the Bose win out on sound quality and noise canceling features. I run the LEMO plug with a coiled cord and find that it is easier to keep the cord out of the way with the coiled cord. I also use a device called a Brain Bucket that holds the Bose controller. It mounts on the wing root panel and really helps organize and clean up the headset cords coming off the left side wing root panel. You can find the product here: https://raoideas.com You will see how I did mine under the Happy Customers link on his website.
    Last edited by ATXCubDriver; 10-11-2018 at 06:53 AM.
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Yes Mike, we could tell it was yours with all the RED around them! I too use these with my Bose A20s and 2nd Mike’s opinion. Love my Bose and the “brain buckets”.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    I spend over 400 hours a year in a Carbon Cub and I can tell you I've tried pretty much all of them and I keep coming back to my Bose A20 for the best sound and noise canceling of them all. The Lightspeed Zulu actually fit me slightly better but the Bose win out on sound quality and noise canceling features. I run the LEMO plug with a coiled cord and find that it is easier to keep the cord out of the way with the coiled cord. I also use a device called a Brain Bucket that holds the Bose controller. It mounts on the wing root panel and really helps organize and clean up the headset cords coming off the left side wing root panel. You can find the product here: https://raoideas.com You will see how I did mine under the Happy Customers link on his website.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

I have used both the Bose A20 and Zulu 3. I agree with the above post that both are very good, I prefer the fit of the Zulu3 over the Bose but Bose is superior in sound and noise. I believe part of the better noise protection is a tighter fit around the ears. Which makes them less comfortable for my big ears. Can't go wrong with either set. Zulu is a good $$ value.

Hi, great recommendations!
    Just wondering if you guys recommend for the back seat as well the coiled version or if it is better to have straight cables?

I do have an old Bose X and a somewhat newer DC OneX, but I end up using my QT Halo.

The noise attenuation is as good or better than the ANR, it is lighter, more comfortable and doesn't rely on batteries.

It isn't really suitable as a shared headset and some people are averse to the foam ear buds, but it works well for me.

Clarity Aloft is similar, but there are pros and cons.