Thread: EX-2 stall speeds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default EX-2 stall speeds

I've recently done the Vs0 and Vs1 checks on my EX-2 in its phase 1 programme.
    The tests were at 1400lbs, 76.3"CG, 22°c and 2500'
    The POH quotes 28KIAS and 35 Kias for Vs0 and Vs1 respectively, but doesn't state the weight (maybe 1320lbs if its based on the LSA version).

I see 35 knots and 40 knots respectively on mine; EFIS and mechanical ASIs agree.

I double checked the wing rigging for excessive wash-out, but all seemed good with 1.5° of washout each side.

I have the kit-supplied static vents on the boot cowl with no leaks on my initial check.

I'm thinking of doing it on reciprocal headings and checking GPS speed against ASI both ways to see if the discrepency is real or due to instrument error.

The stall is benign and take-off & landing performance well up to expectations.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: EX-2 stall speeds

Stalls should be in the high 20 mph not knots. I have not been flying much lately but seam to remember 28 mph indicated was pretty typical stall. When landing short I am in the mid 30s range well before touch down. It is still flying well at that speed. I assume your airspeed is not indicating correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TroyBranch; 04-08-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Airspeed calibration seems OK.
    I did a 3-track GPS check at 40 knots indicated (2nd stage flap) which checked out as 39 KCAS, so not much calibration error.
    So rigging checked, ASI checked, VGs done to plans, approach to stall was at <1 knot/second.

Is there anything else that could give the Vs discrepency?

One thing that did cross my mind is that my wing skin clamps did leave me about a 1/8 gap between rib and skin below the leading edge. I wouldn't have thought that would affect the airfoil characteristics significantly.

My airspeed indicates 35 mph or so at touchdown and takeoffs are mid to high 20s. But actual ground speeds are higher. You’re indicated speeds sound accurate to me. More accurate than mine are at high AOA.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011