Thread: Decibel

Default Decibel

For some reason, i can't endure the sound level of my Supercub anymore. Around 94 to 98 Db. !80 hp with aluminium prop. We tried different kind of mufflers with no success. Even the long german one that removes all the sound for the bystanders on the ground but seems to keep the exact same level in the cabin.

Does anybody here have some observation on the sound level inside the cabin of a Xcub for the pilot in the front seat ?

Louis

Default Re: Decibel

I asked Pete in R&D about this. He worked on the XCub certification and they did measure outside the aircraft to meet the latest noise requirements. Unfortunately, no official measurements were made in the cockpit.

Anecdotally, Carbon Cub pilots frequently comment about how much quieter the XCub is. Pete listed several reasons:
    • C.S. prop lowers RPM in cruise, a significant source of noise
    • Double firewall with insulation between the two layers of Titanium
    • Composite interior and leather inserts
    • Thicker windshield (makes more difference than you’d think)
    • Conveniently wired for noise canceling headsets (ship power)

Perhaps some XCub owners can chime in.

Thank you. Exactly the kind of info i wanted before continuing evaluating the Xcub. If others find it less noisy, i am sure i would too.

We only fly 6 hours + trip. Tough on the headache. The 6 hours plus would become 4 hours less with the XCub speed. And probably with less sound which is now a determining factor when we choose the airplane to do the trip. Our Supercub 180hp is VERY noisy. We tried different kind of muffler. From the power oriented exhaust system that does not muffle any sound, to the long german muffler that cut the sound for the people on the ground but not in the cabin. So i do believe that what you said for the thickness of the windshield, the CS prop and the double insulated firewall might make a huge difference.

Thanks for the input

Louis

Activating a DB phone app would probably provide reasonably accurate info.