Thread: Cubs, cows and horses

Default Cubs, cows and horses

Anybody else here use their Cub for farming/ranching work?

It was time to move some cows off of their summer range because of our heat and no rain for 6 weeks. So the day before we planned the move I made a recon flight to see where they were.

9618B373-C71A-46D1-B5D2-CED435BA0F01.jpg

Those black dots are cows.

The next morning we rode horses to move them into a smaller fenced area where the stock trailers would load them up the next morning.

994A8BA7-8A21-474D-9D48-2E77EC46EAEA.jpg

My wife and I getting the horses unloaded the first morning.

A59E962B-1969-4DFA-A656-017484A6A7A6.jpg

It was me and seven ladies.

We got all but 5 pairs where we wanted them but we couldn’t find those.

5E378AD9-E8C1-42F9-8B89-E74A0035FB48.jpg

I was pretty sure I knew where the missing pairs would be the morning the others were getting loaded and just my wife and I rode out early to move them in with the rest. They gave us the slip though and we didn’t fine them that day. Another 15 minute Cub flight the next morning and I found them again. It could have taken another day or so of riding to find them on the ground.
    Last edited by Dan L; 08-30-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: tried to edit upside down image but no worky
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Cubs, cows and horses

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Anybody else here use their Cub for farming/ranching work?

It was time to move some cows off of their summer range because of our heat and no rain for 6 weeks. So the day before we planned the move I made a recon flight to see where they were.

9618B373-C71A-46D1-B5D2-CED435BA0F01.jpg

Those black dots are cows.

The next morning we rode horses to move them into a smaller fenced area where the stock trailers would load them up the next morning.

994A8BA7-8A21-474D-9D48-2E77EC46EAEA.jpg

My wife and I getting the horses unloaded the first morning.

A59E962B-1969-4DFA-A656-017484A6A7A6.jpg

It was me and seven ladies.

We got all but 5 pairs where we wanted them but we couldn’t find those.

5E378AD9-E8C1-42F9-8B89-E74A0035FB48.jpg

I was pretty sure I knew where the missing pairs would be the morning the others were getting loaded and just my wife and I rode out early to move them in with the rest. They gave us the slip though and we didn’t fine them that day. Another 15 minute Cub flight the next morning and I found them again. It could have taken another day or so of riding to find them on the ground.
    Was this for our enjoyment or did you mean to send this to your accountant so you can write off your Cub?

Glenn

Dan, great post and thank you for the photos. My wife and I run a small cattle operation here in Colorado and also have an FX-3 on order. We have a couple Missouri fox trotters that are great for cattle recon, but I imagine it's a lot easier from the air!

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.

John Newkirk
    Snow Valley Ranch
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking horses and cows John. I like the sepia rendering of the horses and how they're looking to the side together.

In October I always fly for a rancher that has his summer pasture on a timber company lease. There's 10-20 that don't come in with the rest of the herd and they can be very hard to find. Lots of trees and acres to hide in. Last year we found them in an hour or so but there have been years when it took days.

The guys on the ground have a hand-held radio and we let them know where we see them. They have a stock trailer with saddled horses in it and a portable corral. It looks like the posse after outlaws once we tell them where they are. Fun to watch from above.

IMG_0998.jpg

A couple of years ago this is where they were. The upper left part of the opening has some black cows in it.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Very cool! I have a dairy, and sometimes check crops, run parts, or fly to Eastern Oregon to pick out our milk cow alfalfa from our hay grower. I think ranch style farming would be awesome though. Cool you could use your plane to find them.