Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UAvionix SkyBeacon Wingtip ADS-B

Default Approval Process for UAvionix SkyBeacon Wingtip ADS-B

I have been waiting on certification of the UAvionix skyBeacon ADS-B position light replacement. At Oshkosh this year, they announced success with a broad STC for essentially any high wing aircraft, and are now accepting orders. I had my local mechanic check the install/mounting templates for fit, and he confirmed that the wingtip position light would work well (UAvionix also makes a taillight/strobe replacement ('tailBeacon'), but he did not feel that would fit).

I have Sport Cub Serial #15.

At this point, I am interested in placing an order to get on the list for shipment. However, it seems to me it's not going to be this easy. What kind of documentation/approval do I need from CubCrafters to get this done?

Thanks for the help!

https://uavionix.com/
    https://uavionix.com/downloads/skybe...ser-Manual.pdf
    Last edited by Cubdet; 08-20-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Better Title

Default Re: UAvionix SkyBeacon Wingtip ADS-B

Garmin Sues uAvionix Over ADS-B Patent (Updated)
    AVweb Staff
    Garmin has filed a lawsuit in a federal court in Montana, where uAvionix is based, accusing that company of using Garmin’s patented ADS-B technology without permission. The products under dispute are the EchoUAT and skyBeacon, which are sold for the experimental market. In the court filing, dated June 19, 2018, Garmin says they were originally involved in discussions with uAvionix relating to drones. “Over time, those discussions changed, and Garmin eventually learned that uAvionix had taken its patented ADS-B technology without permission,” according to the lawsuit. In a statement posted online Monday, uAvionix says they did not infringe Garmin's patent. "uAvionix has our own patent-pending method for using Mode 3/A and altitude information that differs from the method in the 301 Patent [U.S. Patent No. 8,102,301]," the company said. "We won’t be able to comment on the proceedings, and it will likely take some time to resolve." Meanwhile, the uAvionix statement says, they will continue to ship the disputed products.
    Garmin says in the court filing it sought to resolve the dispute before going to court, but uAvionix “dragged its feet, hid its true intentions from Garmin, and wrongly contended it designed around the ‘301 Patent.'” Garmin said they purchased the disputed uAvionix product, determined for themselves that it utilized their patented technology and decided to file the lawsuit. "The skyBeacon and EchoUAT will directly compete with Garmin’s GDL-82, GDL-84, and GDL-88,” Garmin states in the suit. Garmin asks the court to stop uAvionix from infringing its patent, and also asks the court to require uAvionix to reimburse Garmin for all of its expenses and losses related to the infringement. A Garmin spokesperson told AVweb on Monday, “Unfortunately, we cannot comment on ongoing litigation.”

Wow, nice timing on my part! I see UAvionix has posted a reply re: the lawsuit (below), but still looking for info on what is needed from Cubcrafters to install this -- A field approval, minor mod, etc. will not work--the FSDO just bows out and points to Cubcrafters since it is S-LSA. Any takers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably have to call CC for approval. I don't think they monitor questions on the forum very closely or often. That's been my experience on questions I've had.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I've installed the Skybeacon on my ELSA Sport Cub,
    http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...3215-ADS-B-Out

If you need any photos to get a CubCrafters to issue an MRA for your SLSA, I can provide info and the install instructions.
    Give CC a call to get the MRA process started.

We had to replace the front stick in one of our Cubs when we first got it, and had no issues in getting an MRA from CC for
    the replacement titanium stick. Then we went ELSA.

This install is super simple so I can't see them saying no.
    You can contact me off list if needed at hunterair@aol.com
    Scott and Kim Huntington
    2007 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Sierra"
    2008 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Priscilla"

To modify an SLSA you need an MRA from the manufacturer.
    Download from the CubCrafters website and submit.
    LSA Major Repair and/or Alteration (MRA) Request Form

I don't know if its the aircraft or my bad luck, but so far we haven't been able to get it to work on my Cub.

UAvionix has not been able to provide me with a Beacon that will give a clean ADS B report from the FAA.
    I have installed 2 of the Experimental versions and just installed one of the TSO versions and it failed the transponder threshold yesterday. The transponder threshold is adjustable, but the TSO version has different software then the Experimental version so it can not be re-configured or monitored in flight. The experimental version allows monitoring and reconfiguration in flight.

I'm probably looking at multiple test flights of 30 minutes each to see if we can get the transponder threshold correct.

On a positive note the matching RH side lights work great. It is the same light and antenna that they use for the ADS B IN on the RH side, just doesn't have the ADS B in as I already have that.
    IMG_2013.jpg

I will update with what transpires next on getting a properly working Skybeacon.
    Kim
    Scott and Kim Huntington

Weather hasn't cooperated, but I got a long enough flight in today to get another report.
    The TSO's Skybeacon finally passed the Performance Report without any red boxes!

Finally! It has taken 3 months and 3 beacons to get this to work right, but now it does.

It is a nice way to upgrade, but probably not that inexpensive if you want a matching light on the RH wing like I did.
    Scott and Kim Huntington

Thank you so much for sharing the info and glad you had success! Did it take multiple flights on the 3rd beacon, or were you able to nail it down in one 30 minute session?

On the S-LSA front, I had received sort of conflicting replies to my inquiry from two different folks at CC--one said to send in an MRA. The other said he was having the engineering folks look at the SkyBeacon to determine whether CC could issue an MRA per S-LSA requirements. I haven't heard back even though he said that that process would only take a few days and he'd get back to me. I had put this on the back burner but am going to contact him re: status. I'll try to continue to update things here to keep things current for the S-LSA folks.

Thanks again!

Any new pireps on installation, performance, customer service, etc? Time for me to pull the trigger.

Thanks.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by jasimmons View Post
    Any new pireps on installation, performance, customer service, etc? Time for me to pull the trigger.

Thanks.

Andrew
    Hi Andrew--

On the UAvionix front, nothing new to report. On the S-LSA front, I think the bottom line is that you'll need an MRA as I never received a reply back from Cub Crafters otherwise. I have tabled the issue myself for now as I don't specifically need ADS-B where I fly the vast majority of the time. Good luck, and please let us know how everything goes!