Thread: Keep an eye on this

Default Keep an eye on this

After several low voltage alerts that were intermittent, smoke smell launched a full inspection. Turns out the relay that is part of the overvoltage SB has an issue with loose push on connectors. This is what I found. The connectors you see were ready to fall off the relay. The heat through the wires melted into the firewall black covering. I am searching for a better connector as the new ones weren't as tight as I would like to see. The relay is readily available through many sources. Part is Cole Hersee RC=400112-NN. The relay also showed signs of heat damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Keep an eye on this

How “intermittent” were the alerts? Like a couple seconds or longer?

Quote Originally Posted by cityrancher View Post
    After several low voltage alerts that were intermittent, smoke smell launched a full inspection. Turns out the relay that is part of the overvoltage SB has an issue with loose push on connectors. This is what I found. The connectors you see were ready to fall off the relay. The heat through the wires melted into the firewall black covering. I am searching for a better connector as the new ones weren't as tight as I would like to see. The relay is readily available through many sources. Part is Cole Hersee RC=400112-NN. The relay also showed signs of heat damage.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

It happened a few times over the last 6 months. The low voltage alarm would pop up on the gps. At first I thought is it was a pinched wire on the gps power connection as the Air Gizmo dock doesn't lead the the wires well. It would reset by itself. I am guessing when the connectors cooled.

This is on a CC11-100 Sport Cub, correct?
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Yes it is. SN #16. After review I am not sure if this is the relay for the overvoltage system or Alternator controller.

Looking at the electrical schematic ( SC75101 ) the same relay functions are used whether it is the early 30A alternator or the later 40A. Not the first one Ive seen do this, but we havent seen one do this in quite some time. If this is one of the 30A units, make sure to check the 3 fuses mounted on or near the firewall up under the panel as some of those early fuse holders had a similar problem in getting hot as well.

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics

Would this be handled by complying with SB 23 re: Alternator Fuse Holder Improvement?

SB 23 refers to the fuse holders for the 3 leads coming from the alternator into the aircraft wiring, we have not had to do one of those in quite some time. I don't believe that there is any mention of the relay in that document, it is on the Cubcrafters website in the support section under documents or manuals as I recall.

Thanks much

Mike Sutton

SB 23 has been complied with. Fuse holders look good. I did a return to service flight today, all good.

For those that want to check, the relay is located about 4 inches from the top of the firewall on the pilot side of the firewall and 7 inches to the right of the centerline. For my setup, removing the 496 gps allowed a good visual through the antenna holes of the Air gizmo holder. I really feel the loose connectors caused the problem.