Thread: Lightspeed Ignition Coil Connectors

Default Lightspeed Ignition Coil Connectors

Hi,

I have been having trouble with my EX-2 with Lightspeed ignition misfiring when the key was in the right ignition unit position. Previously, this engine had passed the "mag check" with no issues.

After a new set of plugs, the misfire remained. Talking with staff at Oshkosh had them telling me that it was most likely poor connections to the Lightspeed coil units.

Sure enough, I swapped the coil pairs today L to R. I was intending to try to find a bad coil or bad ignition unit. My problem should have moved to the left unit. Nope, after paying special attention to the FASTON connectors making sure all the disconnect forces were about equal and reassembling the coils on the engine, the engine is running fine again on both the left and right positions.

I talked with Klaus about the connectors and sent him a picture of my setup and his reply was, "those aren't the connectors supplied with the Lightspeed unit."

I have asked him for some of his higher connection pressure connectors. We will see if he has them in the 90 insulated configuration.

Have other people see this problem? Anecdotally, this seems to be the case. Is there a good fix for this?

Thanks,

--paul
    Last edited by Paul S.; 08-07-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Default Re: Lightspeed Ignition Coil Connectors

I received the straight FASTON connectors and had to swap them out for 90 degree flag connectors. Fortunately the 90 degree I used fit very tightly on to the coil pack connectors. So, we'll see.

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Se...e&search=c-975

Let me know of the brand and where to get the Klaus approved 90 degree connectors if you can.

Thanks
    David

Howdy Paul,

I'm the one you talked to at OSH. I'm glad you found the issue and it wasn't something more serious. Now that you have adjusted the contact tension on that connector you will have hours of trouble free operation. It was good visiting with you at OSH!
    Mike Sasser
    Boomerang Air
    mike@boomerangair.net

OK,AR,TX,LA
    www.cubcrafters.com

Mike,

Thanks for chiming in. You saved me hours of messing around by pointing me in the right direction.

Yea, this problem didn't surface until about 250 hours, so hopefully, I'll get many more hours until we have the problem again. Ideally, we'll find a solution that will eliminate the issue for the life of the Lightspeed ignitions. This issue seems to be a weak spot in an otherwise flawless system.

--paul

I had the same experience this summer. While flying in the Idaho backcountry, I had intermittent ignition failure on two cylinders while on the right ignition only. I found one of the wires on a flag connector almost completely broken. I contacted several FOBs and shops in the area, but no one had a flag connector. I contacted Lightspeed and explained my problem and that I was over 1000 miles from home. I offered to pay the cost of overnighting a connector to a nearby FOB. They refused to help. They claimed the order too small for their system. I manage to repair the connection and get home. I hope a never need their help again. I now carry extra connectors.

Here in the rebuild and repair shop, we have seen an occasional case where the terminal - regardless of brand, type or style - does not get a sufficient crimp around the white inner insulated portion of the coil wire. The coax cable is easy enough to get to crimp around the center strand but is very difficult to get an ideal crimp around that white insulated portion.

Most terminals are designed with one area that crimps around the center conductor and a second area that is designed to crimp around the insulation and support the terminal on the wire. Without a good crimp on the insulated area of the wire the center conductor is left to eventually fray and break, which is what was described in a previous post. A lot of the terminals out there just dont seem to like to stay crimped around the white insulation, especially if they are only relying on a crimp of the plastic portion of the connector.

Just a heads up for troubleshooting and for those who may have to end up repairing these at some point.

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics