Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Yakima Building Adventure

Default Re: My Yakima Building Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by WetCub View Post
    fly off, 40 hours within 75 miles.
    Did you really get a 75 mile radius for Phase 1?

I only got 25 miles on my limitations, which I thought was standard.

Only 6 hours in so far and I think I've explored every valley on the East side of SF Bay (the west side is blocked out with densely populated housing).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post

Only 6 hours in so far and I think I've explored every valley on the East side of SF Bay (the west side is blocked out with densely populated housing).
    I used a DAR and he gave me 25m then I went to FAA and had it amended to 75. They issued a complete new airworthy. should have used the fed's in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post

I got 75 miles but for the first 30 I ran it at 65-75% of power so stuck to the valley. I never heard anything but 75 miles and its tough enough.

Thanks for those replies. I've now contacted Oakland FSDO to request a test area extension. Here's hoping!

Thanks so much to RustyPilot for his build report and everyone else for posting. I start my FX3 build on Monday morning 2/4/19. Will be enjoying the Super Bowl in Yakima, it seems! Lots of helpful tips here - much appreciated. Unfortunately, no helper so it will undoubtedly be a busy week... Can’t wait to start on S/N 53!
    Last edited by MackAttack; 02-04-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MackAttack View Post
    Unfortunately, no helper so it will undoubtedly be a busy week... Can’t wait to start on S/N 51!
    I'm not the most practical of people but I know the right end of the screwdriver and which end of the riveter to hold. I did the program on my own and found that apart from standing all day it was well within my capabilities and I'm the only just right side of 70.

All the staff are more than willing to assist and my experience was that there is absolutely no need for a helper and I finished early pretty much every day, that said it would be nice to have company especially in the evenings.

Mine (#38) is finally on it's way to New Zealand, dispatched six weeks after my second visit so the story is very much still in progress.
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Quote Originally Posted by WetCub View Post
    I would recommend using Tac Aero.
    I'd endorse this. Kris came up to Yakima for the day to do the insurance check out with me in Cub Crafters FX-3. I'm going to be doing the fly off myself in New Zealand and having Kris go through the FX-3 with me and put in a few flying hours was extremely beneficial. I feel a lot happier about the prospect now.

One word of warning. Make sure that the bar that holds up the front of the rear seat is property located in the slots on either side of the aircraft. If it is just through the carbon fibre panel and not in the slot the seat (and passenger) will collapse on top of the rudder cables making crosswind landings problematic.
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Quote Originally Posted by MackAttack View Post
    Thanks so much to RustyPilot for his build report and everyone else for posting. I start my FX3 build on Monday morning 2/4/19. Will be enjoying the Super Bowl in Yakima, it seems! Lots of helpful tips here - much appreciated. Unfortunately, no helper so it will undoubtedly be a busy week... Can’t wait to start on S/N 51!
    Ill be getting there Fri the 8Th I do my build the following week, maybe see you there. Have fun
    chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Ill be getting there Fri the 8Th I do my build the following week, maybe see you there. Have fun
    chuck
    Ok let me see if I get this, Karen and your son do all the heavy lifting and you put the lipstick on and fly it.
    Sweet

Chuck: I’m not leaving until Saturday am so it would be great to connect if you have the time!