Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aileron false spars

Default Aileron false spars

Good morning all,
    ran into another roadblock yesterday... decided to sleep on it but this morning still no answers.
    on my left wing with the inboard aileron false spar inboard end flush with the inboard side of flap/aileron hangar and the outboard aileron false spar outboard end flush with the outboard machined rib I end up with an annoying little gap of about 1/8 inch where the two false spars are supposed to nest together at rib 9.
    i have the 51 1/8 inch measurement almost dead on, my machined ribs are square with the spar.
    anybody have any ideas?
    Dewey

Default Re: Aileron false spars

Hi Dewey, Is this on EX2 or EX3? I don't think that matters there. I believe the manual says to get it flush on both ends with the measurements right and where they meet....it is what it is. They overlap there.....are you saying there is an actual "gap" between them of 1/8" or one end just isn't perfectly meeting at the edge of that rib? I think they meet over rib #9. As long as you have material there for edge distance on both pieces.....you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Good morning all,
    ran into another roadblock yesterday... decided to sleep on it but this morning still no answers.
    on my left wing with the inboard aileron false spar inboard end flush with the inboard side of flap/aileron hangar and the outboard aileron false spar outboard end flush with the outboard machined rib I end up with an annoying little gap of about 1/8 inch where the two false spars are supposed to nest together at rib 9.
    i have the 51 1/8 inch measurement almost dead on, my machined ribs are square with the spar.
    anybody have any ideas?
    Dewey
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Dave,
    thanks for the quick response and thanks for being one of the go to guys!
    this is an EX2 kit with extended fuel.
    all my dimensions are almost dead on, with the edges of the aileron false spars flush with the machined ribs I have that gap in the middle where the outbd false spar is supposed to nest inside the inbd false spar. (Pg 107 in wing manual) at rib 9. The pics, the youtubes all show them nested together.
    Dewey

Can you send photo of all 3 places? Like this....

P1050688.jpg

This is the false spar as it attaches to the flap/aileron hanger. View from outboard.

P1050689.jpg

This is the joint of the 2 on rib 9. View from INBOARD (so you can see the outboard spar edge under the inboard one)

P1050690.jpg

end false spar

The 51-1/8" measurement is correct TO START WITH from the flap/aileron hangar to the center of the center hangar but go on to page 120 and you will see that it will probably be more than that to the outside machined rib. Get the inboard end of the inboard false spar flush with the inboard side of the flap/aileron hanger.

You will hang your aileron back up with 2 AN416 washers on the inboard end (at that flap/aileron hanger), double check the 51-1/8" measurement from center to flap/aileron with the aileron installed.....then (after installing the hanger brackets as shown in the manual to secure that inboard false spar) the machined rib at the end distance is determine by taking your measurements as shown in the manual on page 120.

Get that last one the proper distance, move your outboard false spar so it is flush with the outboard edge of that rib and clamp it. Then the joint at rib 9 is.....what it is (but should be pretty close to flush as you can see in my photos).

Dave,
    thanks for the quick response and thanks for being one of the go to guys!
    this is an EX2 kit with extended fuel.
    all my dimensions are almost dead on, with the edges of the aileron false spars flush with the machined ribs I have that gap in the middle where the outbd false spar is supposed to nest inside the inbd false spar. (Pg 107 in wing manual) at rib 9. The pics, the youtubes all show them nested together.
    Dewey
    Dave Embry

Dave,
    ive got great pics of all three places ... they look almost identical to yours.
    trying to figure out how to attach them to this thread.
    Dewey

When you hit reply, you see the icons above? Click on the one I’ve circled here. Then find your picture (“Choose file”) and select it and the UPLOAD it.

B5DBC418-7203-42B7-A6ED-4B0432405C6A.jpg

Dave,
    ive got great pics of all three places ... they look almost identical to yours.
    trying to figure out how to attach them to this thread.
    Dewey
    Dave Embry

Dave,
    see that gap in the aft trailing edge radius of the aileron false spars?
    i was under the impression the outbd was supposed to nest inside the inbd radius.
    And BTW my 51 1/8 inch dim is within a sixteenth.
    Dewey

I think I understand what you are saying....you think the spar itself should touch the hanger? No, they are referring to the attaching point being flush......just like you have it. It all looks perfect to me. Or are you referring to the joint of the inboard and outboard where they said you should "squeeze it together"? They started making the joints differently now so they don't overlap....

See this thread.....post 12

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...1636#post21636

Dave,
    see that gap in the aft trailing edge radius of the aileron false spars?
    i was under the impression the outbd was supposed to nest inside the inbd radius.
    And BTW my 51 1/8 inch dim is within a sixteenth.
    Dewey
    Last edited by Daveembry; 07-01-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    Dave Embry