Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training

Default Re: Training

20180621_112343.jpg

Pic of Dana and his Sport Cub.

Was able to get 3.5 hours flying with Dana Holliday at Holliday Aviation in Jacksonville in his Sport Cub..exactly same as mine but for color. Dana is a highly skilled pilot and I learned alot.

We flew at a towered airport, non towered airport and a grass strip. He even got me familiar with using the Garmin 496 and the radio...same as in my plane.

If you want some time in a Sport Cub with a CFI, flying with Dana will make you a better pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by stroutmail View Post
    20180621_112343.jpg

Pic of Dana and his Sport Cub.

Was able to get 3.5 hours flying with Dana Holliday at Holliday Aviation in Jacksonville in his Sport Cub..exactly same as mine but for color. Dana is a highly skilled pilot and I learned alot.

We flew at a towered airport, non towered airport and a grass strip. He even got me familiar with using the Garmin 496 and the radio...same as in my plane.

If you want some time in a Sport Cub with a CFI, flying with Dana will make you a better pilot.
    I’m glad to see that you were able to link up with Dana and get some time with him in the sportcub. He got me ready for the first flight in my EX and cannot recommend him and Meredith enough (Meredith prepped me for my instrument rating before the left MD)

Pete Meyer
    Severna Park, MD
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

June 15, 2018 took possession of my Sport Cub. Flight Review and Tail Wheel Endorsement complete now, a little over two months. 20 hours of dual for this old rusty crusty pilot from different CFI's...insurance requirements also complete.

Moved plane to KTHV, York PA today. Sort of my first solo cross country in my cub, but I had CFI Tom Henry "instructing" in the back seat for extra safety and confidence.

I have worked with six different CFI's..I recommend all of them highly:

Joe Gauvreau..Bowie MD 9 hrs
    Dana Holladay..Jacksonville, FL 3.5 hrs
    Ron Dillard..Lebanon, TN 3.5 hrs.
    Dave Myers..York, PA 2.0 hrs
    Damian DelGaizo..Andover, NJ 1.8 hrs
    Tom Henry, Clearview, MD 0.8 hrs.

Would have been cheaper and probably easier working with only one, but finding time and weather was a challenge..and it was difficult to get people to travel and fly in my plane--so I traveled to them..but learned different points of view in five different planes that I think gave me very well rounded and rich experience. 60 wheel landings with Joe, 42 three point landings with others. Time in Decathlon, Citabria, Sport Cub, and Super Cub.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Will be increasing my proficiency locally and expanding my horizons. (Will continue using Tom Henry and Dave Myers in my plane in addition to lots of solo practicing.)

Might show up at a flyin sometime in the future.20180825_100821.jpg
    Last edited by stroutmail; 08-25-2018 at 06:59 PM.

I actually wrote a weblog documenting my "journey" that might be an interesting read for someone who starts flying a tailwheel 35 years after his last flight in a Piper Cherokee. The "Return of an old Rusty Pilot" is a unique experience, and perhaps more difficult and frustrating than many realize. Certainly much more difficult than I expected..
    Last edited by stroutmail; 09-03-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Closed
    Last edited by stroutmail; 09-03-2018 at 12:24 PM.

I'll resurrect this thread.

Thought it would be good to have a couple hours in a CarbonCub before I start flying my Phase I test flights soon. I've got some recent tail wheel experience in a Super Decathlon. Although I'm grandfathered from the requirement I asked my CFI for refresher to meet standards for a tailwheel endorsement in my logbook.

I have electronically communicated with two regional CubCrafters Certified Sales Centers about leads for some training. It would be fair to say I'm shocked at what this will cost. The two leads I do have are here in Texas. Hourly rental for a Carbon Cub EX at both places was reasonable at about $220/hour wet. One provider, TAC*AERO, offers what they call Basic Carbon Cub(FX) Checkout for $1,500 that could include 2-4 hours flight time @ an additional $220/hr. $1,500 flat rate pays for the instructors time whether ground or flight training during the scheduled eight hours availability. A second option I found works on a daily rate of $750 or 1/2 day for $350 + $220/hr for flight hours.

What have others done? Or did you just go fly it with a solid review of the manual.
    Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    What have others done? Or did you just go fly it with a solid review of the manual.
    I had one hour but only one landing in the local sales rep's FX-3 before I placed my order. I was able to pursuade my insurance carrier that my Husky and Super Cub time qualified me to fly the FX-3 with no additional training except a briefing from a factory pilot.

I got an hour in the FX-3 demonstrator during my factory assist build week and that met my insurance requirement for a factory pilot briefing.

If you have recent tailwheel experience you won't find the aircraft difficult to handle. Your insurance is what is going to drive the training requirements.

The only part of the AFM/POH that I really studied was the ignition test sequence. I had to review the schematic to understand why it was done the way it was. I did spend some time reviewing the Garmin documentation on the G3X Touch system as that was new to me.

As an aside - I thought the TacAero rates were outrageous and had considered getting an FAA LODA to give training in my FX-3. It didn't take long to realize I would need to charge at least as much as TacAero to make it worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    I'll resurrect this thread.

Thought it would be good to have a couple hours in a CarbonCub before I start flying my Phase I test flights soon. I've got some recent tail wheel experience in a Super Decathlon. Although I'm grandfathered from the requirement I asked my CFI for refresher to meet standards for a tailwheel endorsement in my logbook.

I have electronically communicated with two regional CubCrafters Certified Sales Centers about leads for some training. It would be fair to say I'm shocked at what this will cost. The two leads I do have are here in Texas. Hourly rental for a Carbon Cub EX at both places was reasonable at about $220/hour wet. One provider, TAC*AERO, offers what they call Basic Carbon Cub(FX) Checkout for $1,500 that could include 2-4 hours flight time @ an additional $220/hr. $1,500 flat rate pays for the instructors time whether ground or flight training during the scheduled eight hours availability. A second option I found works on a daily rate of $750 or 1/2 day for $350 + $220/hr for flight hours.

I don’t know your financial situation or your flight experience but unless you have a lot of time flying a tailwheel, I would warn against flight in your new Carbon Cub without Carbon Cub specific training. It will fly quite a bit differently from a Decathlon and conducting Phase I trials without intimate knowledge of the plane is dangerous. Flying and owning a plane is expensive but training is cheap considering cost of even a small mistake.