Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training

Default Re: Training

20180621_112343.jpg

Pic of Dana and his Sport Cub.

Was able to get 3.5 hours flying with Dana Holliday at Holliday Aviation in Jacksonville in his Sport Cub..exactly same as mine but for color. Dana is a highly skilled pilot and I learned alot.

We flew at a towered airport, non towered airport and a grass strip. He even got me familiar with using the Garmin 496 and the radio...same as in my plane.

If you want some time in a Sport Cub with a CFI, flying with Dana will make you a better pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by stroutmail View Post
    20180621_112343.jpg

Pic of Dana and his Sport Cub.

Was able to get 3.5 hours flying with Dana Holliday at Holliday Aviation in Jacksonville in his Sport Cub..exactly same as mine but for color. Dana is a highly skilled pilot and I learned alot.

We flew at a towered airport, non towered airport and a grass strip. He even got me familiar with using the Garmin 496 and the radio...same as in my plane.

If you want some time in a Sport Cub with a CFI, flying with Dana will make you a better pilot.
    Iím glad to see that you were able to link up with Dana and get some time with him in the sportcub. He got me ready for the first flight in my EX and cannot recommend him and Meredith enough (Meredith prepped me for my instrument rating before the left MD)

Pete Meyer
    Severna Park, MD
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

June 15, 2018 took possession of my Sport Cub. Flight Review and Tail Wheel Endorsement complete now, a little over two months. 20 hours of dual for this old rusty crusty pilot from different CFI's...insurance requirements also complete.

Moved plane to KTHV, York PA today. Sort of my first solo cross country in my cub, but I had CFI Tom Henry "instructing" in the back seat for extra safety and confidence.

I have worked with six different CFI's..I recommend all of them highly:

Joe Gauvreau..Bowie MD 9 hrs
    Dana Holladay..Jacksonville, FL 3.5 hrs
    Ron Dillard..Lebanon, TN 3.5 hrs.
    Dave Myers..York, PA 2.0 hrs
    Damian DelGaizo..Andover, NJ 1.8 hrs
    Tom Henry, Clearview, MD 0.8 hrs.

Would have been cheaper and probably easier working with only one, but finding time and weather was a challenge..and it was difficult to get people to travel and fly in my plane--so I traveled to them..but learned different points of view in five different planes that I think gave me very well rounded and rich experience. 60 wheel landings with Joe, 42 three point landings with others. Time in Decathlon, Citabria, Sport Cub, and Super Cub.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Will be increasing my proficiency locally and expanding my horizons. (Will continue using Tom Henry and Dave Myers in my plane in addition to lots of solo practicing.)

Might show up at a flyin sometime in the future.20180825_100821.jpg
    Last edited by stroutmail; 08-25-2018 at 06:59 PM.

I actually wrote a weblog documenting my "journey" that might be an interesting read for someone who starts flying a tailwheel 35 years after his last flight in a Piper Cherokee. The "Return of an old Rusty Pilot" is a unique experience, and perhaps more difficult and frustrating than many realize. Certainly much more difficult than I expected..
    Last edited by stroutmail; 09-03-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Closed
    Last edited by stroutmail; 09-03-2018 at 12:24 PM.