Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training

Default Training

Private Pilot here that just bought a Sport Cub and needs tailwheel endorsement for regulations and 5 hours in Cubcrafter for insurance.

I live in Central PA and driving 2 hours each way to Washington DC to get tailwheel training in Decathalon, but really want an experienced Cubcrafter CFI. I have had 1.5 hours training in a J3.

Rather than stretching things out, driving 4 hours to get 1 hour CFI time, I would prefer to do a more "concentrated" program that focuses on the Cubcrafter.

A program like Greg Koontz's 2-3 day in Alabama makes sense, but he is booked until September, and does not have a Cubcrafter.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Training

If you fancy a West (edit: was East - remember I’m on the bottom of the planet 🌏 and standing upside down) coast holiday, I did some flying with Twin Oaks out of Portland in their CC Sport Cub nice folk, it was a few years back so check if they sill have it, also with TacAero in Hood River have a great operation.

OR is not quite as far from PA as AU is but still quite a hike.
    Last edited by PeterEedy; 06-12-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Damian at Aeroflex is a great place for training. For what you guys spend for a Cub you would think that Cub Crafters would have some regional CFIs for training? I have a great hired gun if you get a plane to use and can come to you if that's what you need.

Glenn
    Last edited by Cubdriver2; 06-12-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stroutmail View Post
    Private Pilot here that just bought a Sport Cub and needs tailwheel endorsement for regulations and 5 hours in Cubcrafter for insurance.

I live in Central PA and driving 2 hours each way to Washington DC to get tailwheel training in Decathalon, but really want an experienced Cubcrafter CFI. I have had 1.5 hours training in a J3.

Rather than stretching things out, driving 4 hours to get 1 hour CFI time, I would prefer to do a more "concentrated" program that focuses on the Cubcrafter.

A program like Greg Koontz's 2-3 day in Alabama makes sense, but he is booked until September, and does not have a Cubcrafter.

Any suggestions?
    Head to Jacksonville,FL and see Meredith and Dana Holladay.

http://www.holladayaviation.com/tailwheel-training/

I knew them when they were in the DC area but I flew down and knocked out my 5hrs of insurance time in 2 days with Dana. Money well spent! I was a low time TW pilot and preparing for first flight of my CarbonCubEX.

Pete Meyer
    Severna Park, MD
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Thanks for suggestions and info. Damien is for sure one of the best. I watched 3 hours of his training videos he sells on Vimeo...they are fantastic. I have called Damien several times and just get voice mail. I am sure he is in high demand.

Salt Air in NC is selling their Sport Cub in order to add another c172 to their fleet. Left voicemail for Jacksonville FL. But their website says: "We currently have a waiting list until August 1, 2018 for all new students."

Greg Koontz has a great program, but trains in Decathalon and J3..plus he is booked till September.

Getting very good training in Super Decathalon from Joe Gavereur in Washinton DC Freeway but it is quite different from a Sport Cub. Joe is first class CFI with 14000 hours and lots of aerobatic skills.

Got some instruction from Duane Reigle in his J3 at Reigle Air in Hershey, PA..Duane is Frontier Captain, flying Cubs since 1980. He moved to Florida.

Also getting WINGS Flight Review with 18000 hour CFI, Dave Myers in his school's C172, at York. Dave has a lot of tailwheel time.

I may end up just getting the 5 hours dual in my own plane from these, but I was hoping for time with someone having lots of time in the Sport Cub S2.
    Last edited by stroutmail; 06-13-2018 at 04:48 PM.

If your getting Decathlon and J3 time flying your Sport cub will seem easy. Get that done and after you have 100 or more hours in your cub and are starting to be comfortable in it, then that is when you want someone who is very good in a sport cub to teach you how to maximize what your plane can really do. IMO you'll learn alot more about flying on the edge after you feel at home first.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by stroutmail View Post
    Thanks for suggestions and info. Damien is for sure one of the best. I watched 3 hours of his training videos he sells on Vimeo...they are fantastic. I have called Damien several times and just get voice mail. I am sure he is in high demand.

Salt Air in NC is selling their Sport Cub. Left voicemail for Jacksonville FL.

Getting very good training in Super Decathalon from Joe Gavereur in Washinton DC Freeway but it is quite different from a Sport Cub. Joe is first class CFI with 14000 hours and lots of aerobatic skills.

Got some instruction from Duane Reigle in his J3 at Reigle Air in Hershey, PA..Duane is Frontier Captain, flying Cubs since 1980.

Also getting WINGS Flight Review with 18000 hour CFI, Dave Myers in his school's C172, at York. Dave has a lot of tailwheel time.

I may end up just getting the 5 hours dual in my own plane from these, but I was hoping for time with someone having lots of time in the Sport Cub S2.
    Dana Holladay is your guy. They’ve had sport cub for a few years now, he was a factory dealer demo pilot when we had a dealer in Gaithersburg, MD. Tons of hours TW and has SportCub. I’ll send him a message now to get in touch with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Dana Holladay has been a great friend to SWT Aviation since his relocation to Jacksonville, FL. I sold him his Sport Cub, and we refer customers to him often. I'm feel sure that Dana can squeeze you into his schedule. If the other guys have an issue catching up with him, let me know. I can call him on his cell and see if he can make this work. Enjoy!!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Thank you again. I did speak to Dana last night.