Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread: Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

Default Re: Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

REGISTERING THE AIRCRAFT

Today I sent in my paperwork to get the registration started with FAA. I had previously reserved an N number. This gets the registration done which you will need when you set up the final inspection and get your Airworthiness Inspection.

There are 4 things you need to send to FAA to get that started.

1. A Bill of Sale from Mitch.
    2. Complete FAA Form 8050-1. Aircraft Registration Application. You can download it from here and fill it out and sign it. Only 1 copy needed to be filed. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...m/AC8050-1.pdf
    3. Complete FAA Form 8050-88 Affidavit of Ownership for experimental Aircraft. THIS HAS TO BE NOTARIZED FIRST. https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ia/8050-88.pdf
    4. A check to FAA for $5.00 if you already have a reserved N number and $10 if you don't.

I have actually attached a file that has these 4 things as I completed them. I put them in a corporation name so you can see that that name is used everywhere as the Manufacturer or Builder and you can see how the other areas of the forms are filled in. If you are registering the aircraft in your name then use it everywhere for these items.

These 4 items should be mailed by USPS to:

FAA Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750
    PO Box 25504
    Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0504

By Commercial Service to:

FAA Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750
    Registry Building Room 118
    6425 South Denning
    Oklahoma City, OK 73169-6937

That's all there is to it now. There is alot more paperwork to be done for the final Airworthiness Certificate which I'll share when I do it right before my inspection. Send this in early as it takes a bit for them to complete it and mail you your registration. If you make a mistake and have to correct it, your application goes to the back of the stack in some far, distant in-basket and then takes forever (unless you beg like I did on the last one).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Daveembry; 01-11-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.....
    ..but if you do it right.....
    ....once is enough."..

Dave (and all kit builders)
    EAA helps a lot with this process. Great instructions here:

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bui...uilt-aircraft#

Fantastic colllection of all the forms and how to fill them out correctly the first time. Well worth it:

https://www.eaa.org/Shop/ProductCata...SubTopicID=945

David

I agree! That's why I put those links back in my Post #95. haha! Thanks

"I recommend purchasing the EAA publications. Here is a link to the process https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bui...built-aircraft and here is the link to their CERTIFICATION GUIDE. I used this for the first plane and it was great with a complete checklist of exactly what you need to do and in the correct order/timing along with all the FAA Forms
    needed.
    https://www.eaa.org/Shop/ProductCata...SubTopicID=945"

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    Dave (and all kit builders)
    EAA helps a lot with this process. Great instructions here:

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bui...uilt-aircraft#

Fantastic colllection of all the forms and how to fill them out correctly the first time. Well worth it:

https://www.eaa.org/Shop/ProductCata...SubTopicID=945

David
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.....
    ....once is enough."..

JURY STRUTS

In the manual around page 190 starts the jury strut install. Pretty self explanatory but a couple of notes:

1. The figure and the photo of the direction of the bolt head differ. FN52 shows the bolt head on the inboard side but the photo next to it shows the opposite. Per the rules, ignore the incorrect photo and use the figure.
    2. Be sure and pay special attention to the torque values on the last page 193, especially for the bottom ones because there is a plastic bushing in place, you donít want to over tighten that and mess up the bushing. That is why itís only 28 in lbs on the bottom and 40 on the top.
    3. IGNORE part about burning holes and installing the pitot tube if you got the G3X with the Gap26 pitot tube. One of the front jury struts has a tube coming out of it. Donít use that one if you have the G3X. In the kit should be another, regular tube without the perpendicular tube coming out of it. The Gap26 G3X pitot installs into the wing through the bracket that should have been installed when building the wing.
    4. There are 2 lengths of jury struts. Since we painted them, there wonít be any parts numbers still attached to them probably but the slightly longer one goes on the aft spars.

WINDSHIELD

I would change the order up a little from the manual in that I would do everything inside the wing roots first before putting in the windshield. This gives you more room to reach around, etc. Just skip ahead in the manual and connect the fuel lines; pitot tubes and wiring in the wing roots first. Be sure and use the little nylon inserts in the fuel lines before putting them into the fittings. Don't use any fuel lube or thread sealer on these nuts.

The WIRING CHART I did shows where all the wires go to but they are pretty self explanatory.

I would first connect the AOA pitot tube lines; then the fuel lines, then the and lastly the wires.

The video Mitch did is very good but differs from the manual a bit. The manual says to put the windshield in place and then put the windshield liner to it and the video shows to first lay out the liner and then fit the windshield to the liner. This is the better approach I think.

Mark the center of the liner; mark the center of the boot cowl on the tape or Gerbermask you have covering the paint (arenít you glad we saved that from the previous parts it was on?). Mark the 1.5Ē and 2.75Ē places from the front, upper end of the boot cowl and align the liner center mark on the 1.5Ē centerline mark and tape into position.

Take 2 spring clamps and clamp the 2 sides of the liner on the side fuse tubes so that the bottom of the liner will align with the bottom of the side windows. I havenít actually installed my side windows yet so they are not in the way. I just held them in position and put a sharpie mark on the boot cowl where the front, bottom of the window are.

One thing to note is that you need to have a very precise hole for the rivnuts to be installed in. The video doesnít tell you what size drill to use. I think they were using a ďconcrete bitĒ for the final hole???? It should be a LETTER G bit. Donít wallow the drill bit around....keep it very consistent. The rivnuts will ďspinĒ when you try to screw in the screw if the holes are too big. The holes should make it so that the rivnut has to be wallowed around, pushed, pressed, etc. to get it into the hole and not just slide in. If they do, they may spin and you canít get the screw in.

There are good instructions on using the Marson tool (In previous post I showed the model and where to get it) and it works great for me. Hold the rivnut and screw the mandrel down through the rivnut until its just flush with the bottom of the rivnut and then turn loose of the rivnut and turn the mandrel counterclockwise until the top of the rivnut is up flush with the tool head (while the bottom of the mandrel is still flush with the bottom). So, when you go to stick it into the hole, the mandrel should be flush with the bottom oof the rivnut and the tp of the rivnut flush with and up against the tool. Insert it and pull the handle and then unscrew it from the rivnut and that's it.

I use Super Glue GEL (not the regular, thin, watery super glue) as it wonít run and takes awhile to set. I just put a little drop on each side of the rivnut under the head before putting it in and just take a paper towel and wipe any excess off after setting it. Iíve never had one spin doing this.

Also like Mitch showed in the video, you may take a tap and work any that are hard to screw a screw into. Donít try and horse it in because you will spin it loose. I actually screw a screw into each one before installing the liner and make sure they all work good before doing it for real.

After I have the rivnuts all set in place and before installing anything, I mask off the boot cowl and other areas leaving the boot cowl that will be inside the cockpit on the boot cowl open so I can paint it. Take a scotchbrite and scuff the paint and I just use a rattle can of black enamel paint.....non-glossy, matt finish and put a good coat of paint there to keep the glare down.

I think the video and manual are pretty self explanatory for everything else.

AOA PITOT HOSES

If you got the G3X Executive Glass, then you will need to connect the blue and green tubes coming from the wing to the ones in the left wing root. There isn't anything in the Exec. Glass Manual or Finish Manual about this but you need to use the HDW261-739 In Line Connectors and VP9050-007 Inserts. These should be in one of the G3X Totes. Do not use any thread sealer.

P1060613.jpg

P1060614.jpg

P1060616.jpg

P1060615.jpg
    Last edited by Daveembry; Today at 03:59 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.....
    ....once is enough."..

FLIGHT TESTING

Jumping ahead just a bit but we are getting close to flying this sucker. I ordered and received the new FLIGHT TEST MANUAL and FLIGHT TEST CARDS from EAA and they are excellent! I highly recommend ordering this from EAA at https://www.eaa.org/shop/ProductCata...ubTopicID=957# for members it's only $17.95 for EAA members and $22.95 if you aren't.

Most of this info in on the FLIGHT TEST documents in Dropbox, but this has great explanations of each test in the Manual and the cards are great for the cockpit to record stats during the test.

P1060617.jpg
    Last edited by Daveembry; Today at 03:52 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.....
    ....once is enough."..