• Poll Deleted

0 0%

Thread: <Archive Thread> Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

COVER

Rudder

Here is a video I do just going over a covered rudder. https://youtu.be/6JEya5ZuhRM

We are going to refer to the COVER MANUAL, Page 15.2 to show us a couple of things that are really different on the rudder from the other tail-feathers. Pay special attention to how the fabric wraps around the different tubes and how the tapes go on the edges.

NOTE: The photos show the old manual figures in the "SECTION" part. Refer to the current manual for the new ones.

P1050650.jpg

Section B-B shows where the seam on the envelope goes. It's the wide, dark line are in the drawing and it is showing that the seams does NOT go on the outside, center of the rudder......it goes to the LEFT SIDE. (NOTE: Last one I got the seam was the opposite and went on the RIGHT SIDE.) Then, just use a 2" tape centered on it.

Since this is a rudder with more air blasting from the left side of the plane ("propwash"), I suppose that is why the joints are where they are for the fabric (with the outside piece of fabric ending on the RIGHT side of the rudder) and notice how 2 of the 2" tapes are used for the outside tapes on this same tube in Section C-C.

Same thing......the 2 pieces of tape start on either side of the tube in the center and then overlap in the inside, center of the tube with the top overlapping tape going to the INSIDE of that tube (which is the RIGHT side of the plane).

NOTE THAT THE VIDEO IS WRONG. THEY SHOW GLUING THE LEFT SIDE FIRST (which would put that joint on the bottom) and YOU SHOULD DO THE OPPOSITE AND GLUE THE RIGHT SIDE FIRST......... which would put the edge of that right side fabric glued on the left side first.....which would then let the left side fabric overlap that joint and glue on the right side.....keeping it out of the prop blast (that means start with the right side UP to start. The RIGHT side is the side with the wire coming out).

Also notice the strange way Section A-A shows for putting the 2" tape on the top, underside piece of the rudder. Here the tape is ONLY on the LEFT SIDE and UNDER SIDE of this piece ending where the fabric ends. So, there are NO TAPES at all on the RIGHT SIDE. The fabric also overlaps so the top layer is going from the left side to the right side (so no edges into the air blast that hits the left side of the rudder I suppose).

Also, if you are installing the LED LIGHTING PACKAGE, you will need to look at your LIGHTING MANUAL, Page 2.1 to see how you need to prep by the rudder by drilling and tapping 2 holes as well as installing the wire harness.

First, match drill the 2 holes where the rudder light goes with a #43 drill bit and then tap it with a 4-40 NC tap.

P1050653.jpg

Next follow the manual photos and put electrical tape where shown and attach the wiring harness. Note that the end of the harness that has the 4 pins and 1 bare wire end is the one that will go out the front of the rudder to connect with the connection in the fuselage later. The harness should come with the plastic end connector piece but don't install it at this time as you will have to burn a small hole in the fuse by the tail and run this end of the wire through it into the fuse before you can put the connectors on it. I just tape these connectors onto the end of the wire for now and cover all the with paper/tape for painting.

Refer to the COVER MANUAL where it shows to put the wire where it exits the rudder on the forward side, at 9" up from the bottom.

P1050654.jpg

You can follow the video now for the cover.

For rivets, the fig. C5 on Page 81 is not exactly correct (it's showing rib stitching). From the top, the first row will have 2 rivets and the next 3 ribs will have 4 each.

When marking the tape locations, note again the way the 2 two inch (2") tapes go on the fabric seam there at 1C3-1. Take a 2" piece of tape and lay the rudder with the LEFT side up. Hole the tape so that the side that goes down and around the tube goes just past the center (see the 1C3-1 cross section of Fib. C5 in the Cover Manual). Then use the compass and mark that line on the top (left side) where the top edge of that 2" tape will go. I just make myself a note for now on the fabric. This 2" tape will be put on LAST.....or over the top of tape coming around from the other (RIGHT) side.

P1050657.jpg

Same thing on the RIGHT side. With that side facing up, wrap the piece of 2" tape around the tube until its just past the center of the tube. Mark the right side edge of the tape down the fabric and a note to yourself that we will INSTALL THIS TAPE FIRST. So install this 2" tape and then the 2" tape from the LEFT SIDE will overlap this one in the center per the figure.

P1050656.jpg
    Last edited by Daveembry; 12-23-2022 at 01:00 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..