Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617

Thread: Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

Default Re: Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

Just a note if anyone needs a prop hub so you donít have to install your new prop to fit your engine cowl I will loan out the one I have if they pay shipping it is for the Ex3 363 hartzell trailblazer you will have to install your spinner backing plate on the hub to do the fit up. my used hub has bolts and spacers.call Gordon at 616-291-3969 or email me at g2eng00@yahoo.com. Buy the way Dave you have been a big help to all builders out there and thanks for all your help with this build threads.you have done a great job with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

UPDATED WIRING CHART.

I just finished up the wiring on my latest build and did a little editing of the wiring chart to make one small typo error and to make some more clarifications. Previously on the kits, most of the instrument panel bus bar connections were done at the factory and my latest one didn't, so I added those wires to the chart in case yours doesn't come pre-wired either.

I've attached the new chart and have updated my POST #71 with the new chart. Also I added more descriptions and definitions of a few things that may help, so go check it out if you are wiring or will in the future.

Here is a cut and paste from the updated parts of that post:

NOTE: If you happen to download a previous version of the chart from this post before today (Dec. 14, 2019 2:45 pm Central), then delete that and re-download the latest version with a few changes.)

I have attached to this post an Excel spreadsheet that will pretty much be all you will need to install the harnesses. NOTE THAT THIS IS FOR THE EX3 AND IS DIFFERENT FROM THE EX2 (mostly because the electric fuel pump was added) SO DON'T USE THIS FOR THE EX2.

Here's how it works. After we lay out the harnesses, we will simply grab a wire and look at the number (numbers and letters) on the end of the wire. Then simply go to the spreadsheet and find that wire number in the left column and then in the column next to it, see where it connects to. As I find and connect a wire, I mark it off the spreadsheet and then when finished, I look back and be sure all the wires are accounted for. This chart is for my panels which include the G3X Touch, Garmin 200 radio with the control head in the panel; 345R transponder with ADSB-In and Out (this is the remote unit); Garmin 307 autopilot with the control head in the panel and with 2 servos for pitch and roll. It does have the GAP26 AOA pitot; outside temp probe; and trim position sensor. If you equipment is different, then the configuration and wires will be different.

The spreadsheet is broken down into AREAS of the aircraft where the wire is located like "LEFT HEADER PANEL"; "THROUGH THE FIREWALL"; "UNDER THE BOOT COWL" and "UNDER SEAT WIRING". So just go to appropriate area to find the wire you have and connect it where it says to.

Start by installing the power wires that go under the seat (the big white wires, etc) and then run the left and right header panel harnesses and then the big G3X harness last.

Note that "normally", the factory will install many of the wires that are on the main instrument panel that connect buses, etc. but on my latest one they did not, so I had to connect those.

Let me first discuss some of the basics:

1. A "BUS" is a strip of copper that you will see attached to the tops (or bottom of light bus) of several circuit breakers or switches in the panel. It's purpose is to provide power to all those CB's or switches it's connected to. You will always need 1 wire attached to the top of each "bus" that is bringing in power. It does NOT matter which breaker you install it to on the "bus" since the power will go via the copper bar to all the breakers or switches.
    a. The Lighting Bus is the short bus connecting only the 2 NAV and STROBE light switches.
    b. The LH Main Bus (See page 9 of the Exec. Glass Manual) connects 3 CB's of EXT, IBBS & FLD breakers.
    c. The RH MAIN BUS connects 4 CB's of FUEL PUMP, PFD, GSU & GEA.
    d. The AVIONICS BUS connects GMC, COM & XPND CB's. (See page 9)
    3. The EXTENDED BUS is the bus bar up in the LEFT HEADER PANEL that connects the START, STALL, TRIM & LANDING CB's.

NOTE: This last kit I got had the EXTENDED BUS PLACARD WRONG. It had "INTERCOM" on the aft breaker and it will actually be used for the START wiring. If yours is labeled like this, get MITCH to send you a correct placard. The wiring in the wiring chart is correct for this.......just the placard is wrong. ALSO, you will note on Page 9 of the manual, it shows the START breaker on the RH MAIN BUS but that really is the FUEL PUMP breaker and not the START BREAKER. My placards was correct in labeling this but make this correction in your manual. (Upper left of page).

ALSO, disregard much of the PAGE 4 schematics in the upper, left side showing the buses. This is not for the G3X so if you have the G3X, disregard most of these diagrams and instead refer to the schematics starting on PAGE 9 and labeled as "1 of 5" SCHEMATIC, EXECUTIVE GLASS TOUCH DISPLAY SYSTEM.

When wiring in circuit breakers ("CB's), the wires will attach to the side of the breakers opposite of the copper bus bar.

When wiring in SWITCHES, it doesn't matter which side of the switch you put the wires on. You can put them on the top or bottom (one wire will always be a power wire and one wire going to the item) of the switch. It will send power to the item when the switch closes the circuit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Daveembry; Yesterday at 01:45 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.....
    ..but if you do it right.....
    ....once is enough."..