0 0%
  • Poll Deleted

0 0%
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: <Archive Thread> Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

Default Re: Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    Thanks, please send them to my email at: stede52@comcast.net
    Disregard my email request I'll text Mitch.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

CHANGE OF PART FOR THE ELEVATOR BUNGEE CABLE

Fuse Manual Page 148, FS48 & 49.

There was a change of part numbers and I can't add this new drawing/figure to the original place in this thread because it will only let 12 attachments/photos per post, so I'll reference that post over to this post to get the figure. I have attached the figure here on this post as well.

09D3A3A7-B410-4AA3-8FBD-B91AFE0BD711.jpg

The last kit I got it also looks like THEY CHANGED THE CABLE ASSEMBLY, ELEVATOR BUNGEE TO XC98007-001 FROM THE XC98001-001 AS SHOWN ON FS48 & FS49.

The new cable has a different connector on 1 end. The end with the loop with be installed per the figures onto the jackscrew end. The other end now has a different type fitting with a notched opening it to slide the end of the spring into and for a screw to secure it. This end will go on the aft side and the spring TC2527-001 will attach to it with an AN23-8 screw, AN960-10L washer; AN320-3 castellated nut and AN380-2-2 cotter pin per the drawing Mitch sent.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    BOOT COWL

NOTE: I'M ADDING THIS AFTER I HAVE FINISHED THE AIRPLANE AND WANTED TO SUPPLEMENT SOME CHANGES I WOULD MAKE ON THE NEXT PLANE.

I would take particular note in the EXECUTIVE GLASS MANUAL, Page 24 of the screw locations that hold the ignition box brackets to the fuse. All the bolts/screws used to secure the brackets to each other and to the fuse, I would not use nuts but clipnuts on all the areas so that you can simply unscrew the screws because the nuts are almost impossible to get to when the boot cowl is on. Just imagine you only have access from inside the cockpit through that front panel area and see how hard that would be to do.

Also, when securing the sensor that the manifold pressure line goes into, I would NOT install it with an Adel clamp on the top, aft ignition box bracket. That is pretty much impossible to ever get back on if you have to remove the boxes. I would install it somewhere else so a simple nutclip can be used on that top, aft bracket screw.
    Do you happen to recall what clipnuts you used?

Any suggestions as to where to mount the manifold pressure sensor? Will it be obvious when I get to that spot?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Gregg,

I haven’t done it yet on the current build but will be at that point pretty soon after I get the fuse covered and start wiring. I took off from building for about 3 months this summer.

I think any clipnut would work that would slip over the bracket and extend for enough for the holes to be centered (much like the clipnuts you use on the backup battery itself in this area).

The pressure sensor i would mount on the inside of the fuse tubes so that when you remove the right, front, interior panel for access to the ignition boxes and backup batteries, you could also access it from the same location. I’m thinking you could also just zip tie it to one of the tubes instead of the adel clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    Do you happen to recall what clipnuts you used?

Any suggestions as to where to mount the manifold pressure sensor? Will it be obvious when I get to that spot?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Dave Embry

Well, someone bitched to me the other day on the phone saying..... "You should have an index to all your posts to make it easier to go back and locate a subject. I'm tired of having to search all the posts to find what I'm looking for!" ...... SOOOOOOO.......

Note that this thread was done AS I BUILT THE AIRPLANE, so it's in the order of the build. Now there are a couple places where I have done things in advance that makes it easier to do earlier in the build and a couple places where I had to jump ahead while waiting on parts to come in, but otherwise.....if you look in the manual index, this thread pretty much follows it as well.

I finally got substantially finished this week with a new hangar I was building so ready to get back to work building so I will try and do just that. I'm doing this on the 2nd post of the thread (currently its page 16 but could change as I edit) of this thread and it's a work in progress.

I have attached this INDEX as a PDF file in this thread that you can download and print if you like.

I thought I'd go ahead and post what I have for now so you won't have to "work so hard" to find the subject..... LOL.

INDEX OF POSTS AND SUBJECT IN THIS THREAD

This is a last minute add-on I added after the thread was finished to help find certain subjects in the thread since different subjects are covered in different posts. Generally, I have followed the order of the build in the thread......in other words.....I wrote this thread as I actually built the airplane. Most of the time you will notice it pretty much follows the order of the manual but in many instances, I have found that doing certain items out of order makes it easier and in a few instances, I had to skip ahead and start other sections while waiting on missing parts to be delivered.

• Post 1 - General Information about the build and the process
    • #2 - TOOL LIST. DRILL BIT SIZES CHARTS
    • #3 - TOOL LIST ATTACHMENT; WING BUILD START; ORGANIZING PARTS & INVENTORYING; ROTATOR INFO
    • #4 - WING BUILD/DIAGONAL TUBES; MAKING "DOUBLE RIBS"; SPAR ATTACH FITTINGS
    • #5 - DRAG WIRES; MACHINED RIBS
    • #6 - NOSE RIB PREP; TRAMMELING THE WING
    • #7 - REAR SPAR REINFORCEMENT; PULLEY BRACKET

• #8 - TAIL RIBS; MACHINED CLIPS

#9 - NOSE RIBS; CAPSTRIP ON #5 DOUBLE RIB
    • #10 - CAPSTRIP ON #1 & #3 DOUBLE RIBS; BOTTOM CAPSTRIP ON #1 DOUBLE RIB
    • #11 - #3 RIB BRACING; #2 FALSE RIB; FLAP FALSE SPAR INSTALL; AILERON FALSE SPAR; AILERON HANGAR BRACKETS
    • #12 - AILERON FALSE SPAR more detailed. WING WIRING
    • #13 - PITOT TUBE TUBING; LANDING LIGHTS; RIB FAIRLEADS; LEADING EDGE SKIN PREP
    • #14 - OUTBOARD RIB AND CROSS BRACE (Jump to post #22 to finish leading edge skins and wing)
    • #15 - MAGNETOMETER BRACKET AND WIRING IN RIGHT WING

• #18 - CAPSTRIP PART NUMBERS LISTED FOR RIGHT WING

• #19 - COVER; TAILFEATHER COVERING; GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS ABOUT OVERING, USING POLY TAK AND POLY BRUSH; ELEVATOR COVER; STABILIZER COVER
    • #20 - STABILIZER COVER FINISH
    • #21 - COVER - RUDDER
    • #22 - LEADING EDGE SKINS INSTALLED
    • #23 - LEADING EDGE SKINS FINISHED; LANDING LIGHT LENS HOLDER
    • #24 - WING TIP BOW; NUTPLATES AROUND FUEL TANK
    • #25 - FUEL TANKS

• #26 - PULLEYS & CABLES; FUEL TANK GROUND WIRES; RIB SPACER BLOCKS; ADDITIONAL HOLES FOR FABRIC; HARDWARE ON CABLE ENDS - Shackles
    • #27 - COVERING THE WINGS (PREP & COVER)
    • #28 - SUMMARY OF COVERING THE WING

• #29 - TAPES; GROMMETS & FABRIC PATCHES ON WING; LANDING LIGHT DETAIL
    • #31 - WING TAPES & PATCHES & RIVETS; TIPS ON USING POLYBRUSH ON TAPES
    • #33 - POLY FIBER TIPS ON MIXING AND USING BRUSH & SPRAY

• #37 - PUTTING FUSE ON BOGERT ROTATOR; FUSE INSPECTION; BRAKE LINE CONNECTORS FOR STAINLESS STEEL LINES; PEDALS & TORQUE TUBE INSTALL; FUEL SELECTOR ASSEMBLY; FLOORBOARD INSTALL; REAM FUSE HOLES; INSTALL UNDER SEAT PARTS IN ADVANCE

• #38 - BOTTOM PULLEYS & CABLES; EXTENDED BAGGAGE PANELS & DOOR

• #39 - EXTENDED BAGGAGE DOOR ASSEMBLY INSTALLATION
    • #40 - REAR SEAT CABLE INSTALL; RUDDER CABLE FAIRLEADS; ELT ANTENNA INSTALLATION; ELEVATOR CABLE FAIRLEAD BLOCKS; FUEL LOW POINT DRAIN
    • #43 - THROTTLE QUADRANTS
    • #44 - STRINGERS; SEAT BASE; BATTERY BOX; TORQUE TUBE INSTALL; CONTROL STICK STUBS; AILERON STOP PLATE
    • #45 - HEATER DUCT; RUDDER/BRAKE PEDALS; INSTALL FLOORBOARD
    • #46 - PEDAL SPRNGS; PULLEYS & CABLES; SEAT BELT SCREW HOLES

• #47 - FUEL LINES

• #48 - FUEL LINES CONTINUED

• #49 - VERTICAL FIN; ELEVATOR TRIM COMPONENTS
    • #50 - TRIM MOTOR INSTALL; SIDE FABRIC SPACERS
    • #51 - INTERIOR PANELS; ADDING POCKETS
    • #53 - MAP POCKETS
    • #54 - INTERIOR PANELS FITTING
    • #55 - RUDDER CABLES

• #58 - TRIM MOTOR INSTALL & TEST; BODY FILLER

• #59 - BOOT COWL BUILD PART 1
    • #60 - BOOT COWL BUILD PART 2
    • #61 - FUSELAGE FINISHING UP FOR COVER; COVERING FUSE PREP
    • #62 - FUSE COVERING
    • #63 - TAIL FEATHER COVERING; HOW TO ADD BRUSH AROUND RIVETS
    • #64 - MY POSITIVE PRESSURE PAINT BOOTH
    • #65 - COVERING ELEVATORS; PREPPING FOR ELEVATOR TRIM TABS

• #68 - FLAP HANDLE ASSEMBLY

• #70 - WIRING G3X TOUCH; INSTALL FLAP HANDLE; DOOR HEADER PANELS; SOLENOIDS; INSTRUMENT PANEL
    • #71 - WIRING CHART I MADE; CONNECTING WIRES
    • #72 - WIRING CONT.
    • #73 - WIRING - SETTING UP AND TESTING THE SYSTEM
    • #74 - AUTOPILOT SERVO INSTALLATION - ROLL SERVO
    • #75 - AUTOPILOT SERVO INSTALLATION - PITCH SERVO
    • #76 - PREP BELLY PAN FOR SCREWS; THROTTLE & PROP CABLES; TAILWHEEL INSTALL; 3X3 GEAR INSTALL

• #77 - SEAT BELTS; BOOT COWL; FIREWALL CABLES & WIRES; FUEL PUMP; GASOLATOR

• #78 - DEFROSTER INSTALL; HEATER BOX; MANIFOLD PRESSURE FITTING

• #79 - FIREWALL WIRE ROUTING & INSTALLING BOOT COWL; ENGINE MOUNT; INSTRUMENT PANEL VINYL
    • #80 - FIREWALL POPULATING WITH PARTS AND WIRES
    • #81 - ENGINE INSTALL - PRE-INSTALL ITEMS
    • #82 - ENGINE INSTALL CONTINUED. INSTALL ENGINE TO MOUNT
    • #83 - ENGINE INSTALL - COMPLETING INSTALL
    • #84 - ENGINE INSTALL - THROTTLE BRACKET; ALTERNATE NOICE FILTER; OIL PRESSURE ADJUSTMENT; PROP GOVERNOR INSTALL; BAFFLES;
    • #85 - ENGINE INSTALL - CHT PROBES; BAFFLES (CONT); OIL COOLER; GROUND WIRE ATTACH; SNIFFLE VALVE; BAFFLE SEALS

• #88 - STARTER WIRE; SIDE DOOR; IGNITION SENSORS; MIXTURE CABLE; THROTTLE CABLE; FIREWALL HOLE SEALING; FUEL PUMP DRAIN HOSE; EXHAUST PIPES

• #89 - HEAT MUFFS; ALT AIR ATTACHMENT; EGT PROBES; BAFFLE SAFETY WIRE; IGNITION COIL MINI-SENSOR ADJUSTED
    • #90 - PROP INSTALL
    • #91 - ENGINE COWL
    • #92 - ENGINE COWL CONT.; OIL DOOR
    • #93 - DOOR HANDLES; EXPERIMENTAL STICKER; STATIC PRESSURE LINES; HEATER BOX/DEFROSTER HOSES; REAR BAGGAGE CARPET; WHEEL TORQUE PLATES; INSTALL EXTENDED BAGGAGE DOOR
    • #94 - BRAKE LINES; INTERIOR PANELS; PLACARDS; D WINDOWS; FLAP CONES; WINDOW FRAMES
    • #95 - WINDOW FRAMES (CONT); BATTERY BOX; REAR SEAT AND SEAT HOLDER; HORIZONTAL STABS; MOUNTING TIRES ON RIMS; LANDING GEAR INSTALL; GETTING ITEMS NEEDED FOR CERTIFICATION

• #103 - PAINTING VORTEX GENERATORS; MAGNETOMETER MOUNTING
    • #104 - BRAKES & WHEELS; WING PREP; STALL WARNING; VORTEX GENERATORS; TURTLE DECK RIVETS
    • #105 -TRIM TABS; WING & RUDDER LIGHTS; FLYING WIRES; RUDDER CABLE HOLES IN FUSE
    • #106 - FLING WIRES (cont.); ELEVATORS
    • #107 - TIPS FOR ELEVATOR INSTALL BY PETE DOUGHERTY

• #108 - MORE TIPS FOR ELEVATOR INSTALL

• #109 - ELEVATORS - ADJUSTING; RUDDER & RUDDER CABLES
    • #110 - WINGS; JURY STRUT I-BOLTS; HARDWARE LIST FOR WINGS & STRUTS
    • #111 - REGISTERING THE AIRCRAFT WITH FAA
    • #114 - JURY STRUTS; PITOT TUBE HOSES; FUEL SIGHT GAUGES;
    • #115 - FLIGHT TESTING
    • #116 - WINDSHIELD
    • #117 - WINDSHIELD (cont.); HEADSET HOOKS; AILERON CABLES;

• #122 - AILERONS
    • #123 - FLAPS
    • #124 - SKYLIGHT & TURTLE DECK
    • #125 - GETTING READY FOR THE FSDO OR DAR INSPECTOR
    • #127 - FUEL TANK COVERS; FLAP GAP SEALS; OAT PROBE INSTALLATION

• #128 - SNAP VENTS;

• #131 - FUEL TESTING; CONNECT PITOT TUBE; AUTOPILOT SERVOS. - PITCH & ROLL; BELLY PAN INSTALL
    • #132 - FRONT SEAT; BEFORE FIRST FLIGHT; BEFORE FIRST ENGINE START; G3X SETUP; SETUP ADHRS; ADSB; AUTOPILOT; MAGNETOMETER; WT & BALANCEFUEL QUANTITY RESET; TRIM POSITION INDICATOR SET; FIRST ENGINE START
    • #133 - OIL DOOR LATCH
    • #134 - CONNECT ELT COAX TO ELT; FILLING/BLEEDING BRAKE MASTER CYLINDERS
    • #135- CHECK FLYWHEEL TIMING RING

• #138 - FIRST FLIGHTS - ENGINE OIL; “BEFORE FIRST FLIGHT: DOCUMENT; CHECKLIST BEFORE FIRST FLIGHT; COMPLETE LIST OF ITEMS TO DO BEFORE FLYING

• #139 - TESTING & TROUBLESHOOTING; TAPE OFF OIL COOLER; OTHERS ITEMS OF CONCERN
    • #143 - ALERTS VOLUME ADJUSTMENTS (MINE WAS TOO LOW)
    • #144- PILOT OPERATING HANDBOOK
    • #145 - BATTERY TENDER; EAA SEMINAR ON G3X TOUCH LINK
    • #146. - ALERTS VOLUME ADJUSTMENT FOR THE COM RADIO
    • #147 - AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE MANUAL (PDF)

• #148 - AUTOPILOT SETTINGS

• #153 - PART CHANGE NOTIFICATION FOR ELEVATOR BUNGEE CABLE

• 160 - Carbon Cub Tool List on Excel Spreadsheet
    • 162 - List of consumables for the EX3
    • 163 - List of EX3 data such as consumables (oil, plugs, grease, oil, etc) and G3X Settings and Manual locations
    • 164 - Connecting the front stick wiring to the harness
    • 165 - Window Latches on wing
    • 168 - Testing the magnetometer wiring
    Last edited by Daveembry; 01-16-2023 at 04:56 PM.
    Dave Embry

Dave, you have done a GREAT job of documenting your build, better then any I've seen. Keep up the great work and thanks!!!!!
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Glad it’s helping you and others! Makes it more fun hopefully. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    Dave, you have done a GREAT job of documenting your build, better then any I've seen. Keep up the great work and thanks!!!!!
    Dave Embry

FYI. There is a “Carbon Cub EX Builders” private group on Facebook open only to CC builders. I have been posting videos over there on the fuselage covering and poly fiber install recently. Facebook makes posting videos much easier than here on the forum so check it out if interested.
    Dave Embry

Just a note if anyone needs a prop hub so you don’t have to install your new prop to fit your engine cowl I will loan out the one I have if they pay shipping it is for the Ex3 363 hartzell trailblazer you will have to install your spinner backing plate on the hub to do the fit up. my used hub has bolts and spacers.call Gordon at 616-291-3969 or email me at g2eng00@yahoo.com. Buy the way Dave you have been a big help to all builders out there and thanks for all your help with this build threads.you have done a great job with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

UPDATED WIRING CHART.

I just finished up the wiring on my latest build and did a little editing of the wiring chart to make one small typo error and to make some more clarifications. Previously on the kits, most of the instrument panel bus bar connections were done at the factory and my latest one didn't, so I added those wires to the chart in case yours doesn't come pre-wired either.

I've attached the new chart and have updated my POST #71 with the new chart. Also I added more descriptions and definitions of a few things that may help, so go check it out if you are wiring or will in the future.

Here is a cut and paste from the updated parts of that post:

NOTE: If you happen to download a previous version of the chart from this post before today (Dec. 14, 2019 2:45 pm Central), then delete that and re-download the latest version with a few changes.)

I have attached to this post an Excel spreadsheet that will pretty much be all you will need to install the harnesses. NOTE THAT THIS IS FOR THE EX3 AND IS DIFFERENT FROM THE EX2 (mostly because the electric fuel pump was added) SO DON'T USE THIS FOR THE EX2.

Here's how it works. After we lay out the harnesses, we will simply grab a wire and look at the number (numbers and letters) on the end of the wire. Then simply go to the spreadsheet and find that wire number in the left column and then in the column next to it, see where it connects to. As I find and connect a wire, I mark it off the spreadsheet and then when finished, I look back and be sure all the wires are accounted for. This chart is for my panels which include the G3X Touch, Garmin 200 radio with the control head in the panel; 345R transponder with ADSB-In and Out (this is the remote unit); Garmin 307 autopilot with the control head in the panel and with 2 servos for pitch and roll. It does have the GAP26 AOA pitot; outside temp probe; and trim position sensor. If you equipment is different, then the configuration and wires will be different.

The spreadsheet is broken down into AREAS of the aircraft where the wire is located like "LEFT HEADER PANEL"; "THROUGH THE FIREWALL"; "UNDER THE BOOT COWL" and "UNDER SEAT WIRING". So just go to appropriate area to find the wire you have and connect it where it says to.

Start by installing the power wires that go under the seat (the big white wires, etc) and then run the left and right header panel harnesses and then the big G3X harness last.

Note that "normally", the factory will install many of the wires that are on the main instrument panel that connect buses, etc. but on my latest one they did not, so I had to connect those.

Let me first discuss some of the basics:

1. A "BUS" is a strip of copper that you will see attached to the tops (or bottom of light bus) of several circuit breakers or switches in the panel. It's purpose is to provide power to all those CB's or switches it's connected to. You will always need 1 wire attached to the top of each "bus" that is bringing in power. It does NOT matter which breaker you install it to on the "bus" since the power will go via the copper bar to all the breakers or switches.
    a. The Lighting Bus is the short bus connecting only the 2 NAV and STROBE light switches.
    b. The LH Main Bus (See page 9 of the Exec. Glass Manual) connects 3 CB's of EXT, IBBS & FLD breakers.
    c. The RH MAIN BUS connects 4 CB's of FUEL PUMP, PFD, GSU & GEA.
    d. The AVIONICS BUS connects GMC, COM & XPND CB's. (See page 9)
    3. The EXTENDED BUS is the bus bar up in the LEFT HEADER PANEL that connects the START, STALL, TRIM & LANDING CB's.

NOTE: This last kit I got had the EXTENDED BUS PLACARD WRONG. It had "INTERCOM" on the aft breaker and it will actually be used for the START wiring. If yours is labeled like this, get MITCH to send you a correct placard. The wiring in the wiring chart is correct for this.......just the placard is wrong. ALSO, you will note on Page 9 of the manual, it shows the START breaker on the RH MAIN BUS but that really is the FUEL PUMP breaker and not the START BREAKER. My placards was correct in labeling this but make this correction in your manual. (Upper left of page).

ALSO, disregard much of the PAGE 4 schematics in the upper, left side showing the buses. This is not for the G3X so if you have the G3X, disregard most of these diagrams and instead refer to the schematics starting on PAGE 9 and labeled as "1 of 5" SCHEMATIC, EXECUTIVE GLASS TOUCH DISPLAY SYSTEM.

When wiring in circuit breakers ("CB's), the wires will attach to the side of the breakers opposite of the copper bus bar.

When wiring in SWITCHES, it doesn't matter which side of the switch you put the wires on. You can put them on the top or bottom (one wire will always be a power wire and one wire going to the item) of the switch. It will send power to the item when the switch closes the circuit.
    Last edited by Daveembry; 02-04-2020 at 08:26 PM.
    Dave Embry