Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

Default Re: Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints

FUEL FLOW CHART

Someone asked about this and for some reason, I can't attach it to a message so thought I'd post it here.

This is a Fuel Flow Chart that FAA "likes" you to do, but not required. You damn sure should do it regardless.

Put plane in level position and again in critical attitude and detach fuel line after the gasolator but before the carb or fuel filter (if EX3) and time the fuel flow into a marked container.

To arrive at the max fuel flow numbers, I originally asked Mitch and was told to use 12 gph for the EX2 (CC340). My EX3ís go just a bit over 13 gph on take-off, max power so 150% would be about 18-19 gph. Iíve always gone way over, so the design of course is sound. The test makes me feel better than everything is flowing and no trash or obstructions in the fuel lines.

See the form attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Daveembry; 07-10-2020 at 06:00 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Thanks. To be sure I understand, you first painted with the DUHS and then came back and put the FDGH over it and it worked? That's what Cubcrafters has told me too. I have some DUHS paint left and wanted to put it over the new FDGH as stripes and they said it works OK.
    Thatís correct. I also did my red stip with FDGH

First, as a new cub builder, thank you Dave very much for all your hard work in compiling this manual.

And, a question for you and the other experts. I have just finished my boot cowl. It makes sense to me to go ahead and fit the cowling, before I have new paint on the boot, and while the board is reinforcing the shape of the firewall.

Is there a reason not to do this?

Thanks, John Huft

Hi John. Welcome to the club!

Yeah you need to wait for a couple reasons. The cowl has to be fitted around the prop spinner equally and the correct distance from it and there are baffles installed on the engine which the cowl fits against. So, you need to wait. You just put some tape around the boot cowl when fitting the cowl for the paint. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by aflyer View Post
    First, as a new cub builder, thank you Dave very much for all your hard work in compiling this manual.

And, a question for you and the other experts. I have just finished my boot cowl. It makes sense to me to go ahead and fit the cowling, before I have new paint on the boot, and while the board is reinforcing the shape of the firewall.

Is there a reason not to do this?

Thanks, John Huft
    Last edited by Daveembry; 08-12-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    Dave Embry

I maybe confused but if you are asking if you should fit the 'boot cowl' before painting, the answer for me was yes. Take your time fitting the boot cowl especially on the bottom where it joins in with bottom triangular skin and fuse.

In regards to fitting the actual cowling (not the boot cowl), Dave is correct.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Thank you both. Of course I need to fit the cowl to the spinner. I remember now doing this to my RV8. Now that my fuse finally starts to resemble an airplane I got carried away.

Now for fabric.

Adjusting the new Acme Stinger Tail Suspension.

This is a GREAT suspension and I could not believe how great it improved the landings. I thought I would discuss just a bit of how to adjust them to our airplanes.

The tail weights of the last 4 airplanes I have build using the Baby Bushwheel and either 4 leaf spring system or this Stinger came in around 62 lbs. CC says the average FX3 with 3200 is about 58 lbs and the baby bushwheel adds right at 4 lbs more, so that would be 62 lbs, exactly what mine weighed. With the Stinger on, it weighed 65 lbs so the Stinger is about 3 lbs more than the weight of the springs.

Of course it will weight more in the 3 pt. (normal) position and with fuel, baggage, people, etc.

According to Matt McSwain (Owner at Acme); the average tail weight of cubs is near 200 lbs so we need to "soften" up our installations of this on our airplanes.

First, look at the serial numbers of your Stinger. If it starts with a "49xxx", that is the correct one for us. If it starts with a "69xxx", that is one designed for a heavier tail and you should change it out.

To soften the shock, there are 3 things we will do.

1. First loosen the locknut on the shock itself and screw that heim joint out so you have about 1/8" or so between that lock nut and the shock (see photo)

2. Mount that heim (from the shock) into the most forward hole of the 3.

3. Extend the 2 heims up at the top a couple turns so that about 5-6 threads are showing past the lock nuts. These can also be adjusted to level (change the camber) of the tailwheel if needed later.

Try this out and see if when you pick up the tail with normal weight on it (what it would be with fuel, people, baggage, etc) and drop it and you should see the shock rod pull of a bit (maybe just 1/2" or so.

5D6E66E8-D049-494C-A740-86B3A658A05A.jpg

8906BC05-3D08-41D6-B4D3-D4B5EB6571EA.jpg

A5A03FA0-27FD-45EB-B885-962A229D9E25.jpg

430EDA48-FDCE-4C08-9D81-D23CDECE5890.jpg
    Last edited by Daveembry; 08-18-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    Dave Embry

Sweet, new install?
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Yes Acme, who has been asking the Black Ops shocks most people are now using, came out with this I believe just this year. Replaces the springs and like their shocks.....is a huge improvement. Check out their website videos tring to destroy one of these things! https://acmeaerofab.com/

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Sweet, new install?
    Dave Embry

Yup, great product, have them on the front but went the T3 on the rear. Makes it almost impossible to bounce a landing but I keep trying.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL