Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Keeping CG within aft limit

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Keeping CG within aft limit

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    I have mine at 81 and there is no reason for it not to be. I think the 81 is on the x cub too. I asked the factory at the time and they said use 81. Anything less and it is just not going to take the load. As Dan said, it has much more trim to help even more on the EX2.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Troy
    How did you document the 81" aft CG? The only way I see that one could get to 1865 and not be aft would be if I gained about 200 lbs.

  2. #12
    Senior Member TroyBranch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: Keeping CG within aft limit

    Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    Troy
    How did you document the 81" aft CG? The only way I see that one could get to 1865 and not be aft would be if I gained about 200 lbs.
    The POH has 81 and I test flew at that configuration during test phase.

    If I go full fuel, I am 170#, add a 200# passenger, 130# of luggage I am still within CG and cannot get to 1865. There is no practical way you will get to gross unless you are a really big guy up front with a big passenger and luggage. If you can fit it, you most likely can carry it.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: Keeping CG within aft limit

    It looks like the 1865lb limit is academic if you can't get there without exceeding some other limitation, especially for the EX-2 with a 79" aft limit recommended.

    Presumably a belly pod or floats may make use of the extra gross weight allowance without pushing the CG out of aft limit.

    Does anyone have auxiliary loading data for the belly pod - max load and CG station?

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Keeping CG within aft limit

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    The POH has 81 and I test flew at that configuration during test phase.

    If I go full fuel, I am 170#, add a 200# passenger, 130# of luggage I am still within CG and cannot get to 1865. There is no practical way you will get to gross unless you are a really big guy up front with a big passenger and luggage. If you can fit it, you most likely can carry it.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my POH and everything I received from CC states 79. Did you load it to 81 aft for flight testing?

  5. #15
    Senior Member TroyBranch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: Keeping CG within aft limit

    Yes, give Mitch a call. I donít want to be the one that says you can. I was sure they were changing it and would like know why they havenít. That was over two years ago for me. Makes no sense. Same wing and different CG?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Senior Member Dan L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW MT
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: Keeping CG within aft limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post
    It looks like the 1865lb limit is academic if you can't get there without exceeding some other limitation, especially for the EX-2 with a 79" aft limit recommended.

    Presumably a belly pod or floats may make use of the extra gross weight allowance without pushing the CG out of aft limit.

    Does anyone have auxiliary loading data for the belly pod - max load and CG station?
    My belly pod from Carbon Concepts weighs 14 pounds and has a capacity of 150. I donít have my W&B stations where I am, but the CG of the pod would be very close to the station for the pilots seat.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

  7. #17
    Senior Member Dan L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW MT
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: Keeping CG within aft limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    My belly pod from Carbon Concepts weighs 14 pounds and has a capacity of 150. I donít have my W&B stations where I am, but the CG of the pod would be very close to the station for the pilots seat.
    The pod CG is closer the rear seat position. When partially loaded, like a couple of fuel bags, I move them to the front of the pod which is about the same as the front seat.

    AE462ACE-A217-470A-8BF8-8F7A08FE4481.jpg

    4114CA0D-2C49-4AF8-BB72-52E0993C7E0E.jpg
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Keeping CG within aft limit

    Thanks all for the responses!

    Andrew

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •