Thread: NW "Bush Challenge"

Default NW "Bush Challenge"

Who has info on this? What was Jim flying, any video?

Default Re: NW "Bush Challenge"

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Who has info on this? What was Jim flying, any video?
    This was on SC.org

At a NW Super Cub fly in, we had a "Bush Challenge". We had the top three finishers load 300 pounds any way they wanted and try again. Jerry Burr in his really light, modified J3, Greg Miller in his really light 360 powered Cub and Jim Richmond in a Cub Crafters Super Sport Cub. Jerry Burr won. His takeoff was only 10-12' longer than his empty takeoff. I'd have lost money on that bet. I've looked at STOL contests differently since then. Greg and Jim probably would have out climbed Jerry, but Jerry got off shorter. Pretty impressive

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    This was on SC.org

At a NW Super Cub fly in, we had a "Bush Challenge". We had the top three finishers load 300 pounds any way they wanted and try again. Jerry Burr in his really light, modified J3, Greg Miller in his really light 360 powered Cub and Jim Richmond in a Cub Crafters Super Sport Cub. Jerry Burr won. His takeoff was only 10-12' longer than his empty takeoff. I'd have lost money on that bet. I've looked at STOL contests differently since then. Greg and Jim probably would have out climbed Jerry, but Jerry got off shorter. Pretty impressive

Glenn
    I met Jerry at OSH last year. He takes STOL contest very serious, he dieted for 6 months getting ready for the STOL demo at OSH. Even went as far as finding lightest clothes and shoes to wear. He’s a real good stick and has a super light tricked out Cub not sure how much of a J3 is still there 😂So you have your hands full beating him when he pulls up to the line. With 300lbs he was probably still lighter then Jim in the SportCub. He’s fun to talk to and very knowledgeable.
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    I met Jerry at OSH last year. He takes STOL contest very serious, he dieted for 6 months getting ready for the STOL demo at OSH. Even went as far as finding lightest clothes and shoes to wear. He’s a real good stick and has a super light tricked out Cub not sure how much of a J3 is still there 😂So you have your hands full beating him when he pulls up to the line. With 300lbs he was probably still lighter then Jim in the SportCub. He’s fun to talk to and very knowledgeable.
    Chuck
    Jerry has been kickin butt with his hotrod lowbuck J3 for 20 years. A couple of us went out to lunch with him last time he flew out to Lock Haven. You guy are using most of his ideas in what your building today, at least the ones you know about

Glenn
    Last edited by Cubdriver2; 05-21-2018 at 02:42 PM.