Thread: 12 year TBO

Default 12 year TBO

I realize the 1800/2000 12 year TBO on the 0-200 Continental is not a mandatory overhaul requirement for non-commercial but how many people continue operation without overhaul past the 12 years?

Like an engine with 500 hours that in a 2006 airplane that still has good compression and oil analysis?

Default Re: 12 year TBO

I had an o-200 that had never been OH from 1959, it had 1800hrs on it when plane was destroyed in a storm in 2012. Had a few top OHs done but no issues, 53yrs without having case spilt. Ran oil analysis, compression checks at each oil change. Thing ran great. All depends on how many hours per year and how it was stored when down for long periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by N867SP View Post
    I had an o-200 that had never been OH from 1959, it had 1800hrs on it when plane was destroyed in a storm in 2012. Had a few top OHs done but no issues, 53yrs without having case spilt. Ran oil analysis, compression checks at each oil change. Thing ran great. All depends on how many hours per year and how it was stored when down for long periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Similar experience, put 700+ hours on a 0-290-D2 which had been overhauled 29 years before. Had one top along the way. Still was running strong when I replaced it for a newly overhauled 0-320.
    Last edited by 40m; 05-21-2018 at 11:14 AM.

No doubt, the bottom end components, other than a crank seal, probably don't age vs wear. Corrosion, rust from seldom use may be an issue for cam and jugs.

The real issue might be liability when the owner chooses to ignore the manufacturers recommendations and fails to disassemble and inspect rod and main bearings.