Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First ex3 finished n836de

Default Re: First ex3 finished n836de

That is one gorgeous plane and only 507 hours to build?!?

Fly to California and help me with S/N 0014!
    Scott and Kim Huntington
    2007 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Sierra"
    2008 CubCrafters CC11-100 "Priscilla"

Quote Originally Posted by N536cs View Post
    That is one gorgeous plane and only 507 hours to build?!?

Fly to California and help me with S/N 0014!
    Thanks! Yes, the 2nd plane went much faster. The next one will go even quicker as there were some slowdowns since it was the first EX3 to get finished and mostly without any manual sincer there were not any for the EX3 yet. Mitch was great to work with as we worked together on the project. Hopefully it will pave the way for all the next EX3 kits. Would love to come check yours out. I really enjoy the building process. Be sure and keep us updated and feel free to ask questions if you have any.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Oh, I have bunches of questions.
    I used to write tech manuals and am struggling with this build manual....
    That being said nothing I have worked on yet fits, I'm working thru the mast and torque tube, but
    my big question is on the baggage compartment.

The right side panel oil cans and doesn't fit flush in the rear around the tube.
    The left side is better but there is a slight gap in the rear as well. Will this all resolve with the riveting, or should they fit flush? I don't think the bend for the tube on right side is quite "deep" enough allowing it to curve around the tube properly. That's all I can find so far as to why it doesn't fit quite right.

Of course my husband is building the wings and isn't having these kind of issues.
    Scott and Kim Huntington

Oh, I have bunches of questions.
    I used to write tech manuals and am struggling with this build manual....
    That being said nothing I have worked on yet fits, I'm working thru the mast and torque tube, but
    my big question is on the baggage compartment.

The right side panel oil cans and doesn't fit flush in the rear around the tube.
    The left side is better but there is a slight gap in the rear as well. Will this all resolve with the riveting, or should they fit flush? I don't think the bend for the tube on right side is quite "deep" enough allowing it to curve around the tube properly. That's all I can find so far as to why it doesn't fit quite right.

Of course my husband is building the wings and isn't having these kind of issues.
    Are you talking about working on the extended baggage side panels? If so, there are bends in the side panels that go over the tubes. Just use spring clamps to hold them in place and they do seem to come together after riveting the bottoms. You use the methylcrylate when it's all together to fill the gaps between the panel and the tubes on the sides and bottoms. Just use the spring clamps to get it all tight and then apply the glue. They say to put solid beads where the side panels meet the tubes but it's actually better to just run little 3-4" runs of it and then skip a spot. You want to leave gaps that you can put tie wraps through later when you secure your fuel lines in place. All the gaps you see you will fill with that meth stuff. Remember to do the bottom too. I put some weights in the floor of the baggage compartment to press and hold it down until it pretty much touched the tubes and left the weighs there until it dries.

The only tricky thing on the EX3 wings (I assume you are doing the EX3 right?) is the new brackets they put on a couple of the center to tail ribs (I think it was like rib 8 & 9). Be sue to pay attention to the order of the manual not to rivet the backs of those center ribs until those brackets have been installed because you can't get them in and riveted once those 2 center ribs are secured.

What else ya got?
    Dave Embry

Thanks!! Yes it is an EX3 We are in partners with California Cubs on the build.

The side panels scratched the bottom panel close to the rivet line, so using a sanding block to smooth out the bottom
    of the side panels, took out a lot of the oil canning. I think its good enough now to start the match drilling and riveting.

I will pass on the info on the wings to my husband. He has the ribs made and tubes in place today.
    It looks like a lot of progress, but I know better!

I finally got the forward mast on the torque tube today, glued and riveted, and finished the pedals today. I needed extra parts as
    we went with the "real" reservoirs. We put them on our Sport Cubs and no longer have any worries about breaking plastic or not being able to get the tops off. It's a pretty slick little upgrade.
    Rudder pedals done 05122018 (1).jpg

That's all for now, but I am sure I will have other questions as we move forward!!
    Thank you for being there!
    Last edited by N536cs; 05-12-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    Scott and Kim Huntington

Thanks!! Yes it is an EX3 We are in partners with California Cubs on the build.

The side panels scratched the bottom panel close to the rivet line, so using a sanding block to smooth out the bottom
    of the side panels, took out a lot of the oil canning. I think its good enough now to start the match drilling and riveting.

I will pass on the info on the wings to my husband. He has the ribs made and tubes in place today.
    It looks like a lot of progress, but I know better!

I finally got the forward mast on the torque tube today, glued and riveted, and finished the pedals today. I needed extra parts as
    we went with the "real" reservoirs. We put them on our Sport Cubs and no longer have any worries about breaking plastic or not being able to get the tops off. It's a pretty slick little upgrade.
    Rudder pedals done 05122018 (1).jpg

That's all for now, but I am sure I will have other questions as we move forward!!
    Thank you for being there!
    Good deal! I always leave that protective plastic on the panel until the very end. Learned about how easy it scratches on the first build. Also, I always use their lightweight carpet kit for the baggage area. Its' very nice; not much weight and protects the panels when loading up gear. (Covers up scratches too!) ;-)
    Dave Embry

Yeah, we are going to need the carpet kit.
    I really couldn't get the panels to fit with the plastic on, so had to peel it back just enough for fitting. It's mostly still on.

I delivered a Carbon Cub with the bare baggage and even tho had things tied down, was worried about
    slippage and scratches!
    Scott and Kim Huntington