Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compass Issues and Airframe Magnetization

Default Re: Compass Issues and Airframe Magnetization

Quote Originally Posted by mikesutton View Post
    That said, what's the harm in removing them to be safe versus the cost of replacing them?

Mike
    I agree. My plan was to remove the magnetometer since it is easily accessible and no reason to take a risk.

But Dave's reference to that article suggests simply removing the compass from the wind screen solves the issue with the G3X and its magnetometer input.

Does CC still put the old compass in planes equipped with the G3X and magnetometer??

Chuck, yes my FSDO here said there was no need for it. I’ve never gotten one to work up there. Hold your compass app on your iPhone up there and see what happens as well! That’s why the magnetometer is waaaaaaay out there on the wing.

i figure the iPhone compass program would always work as a backup in case of total loss of electronics. Just have to hold it away from the tubes.

[QUOTE=ceslaw;29219]
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    interesting article here ?……. https://www.holladayaviation.com/ind...ic-compass-qa/

Dave:

Very interesting article indeed. As I read it, it appears the current regs require a 'magnetic direction indicator', and presumably the G3X with its magnetometer would fulfill that requirement. The regulation requiring a compass deviation card no longer exists. So the magnetic compass can simply be put back in the box and call it done.

Are we missing something? Does the G3X and its GMU-22 magnetometer indeed constitute a 'magnetic direction indicator'?

Anyone else want to chime in??

Thanks for the info.

Chuck
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Just checked some additional sources. G3X with its magnetometer meets the 'magnetic direction indicator' requirement. No need for a compass on the windscreen. Problem solved.

Thanks for the good feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post

Does CC still put the old compass in planes equipped with the G3X and magnetometer??
    My 2020 FX-3 has a windshield mounted magnetic compass with correction card. When I have checked it against the G3X magnetic heading I have been impressed by how good the agreement is (before applying correction card offset).
    Last edited by Andy; 10-08-2022 at 05:12 PM.