Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B Out

Default Re: ADS-B Out

I just had a Trig TN72 installed to provide position to the TT22 transponder.
    Also Flying RV-8: N931RV, My Yank and Bank plane!

Quote Originally Posted by rv8pilotpaul View Post
    I just had a Trig TN72 installed to provide position to the TT22 transponder.
    I also have the Trig TT22 and have been considering the TN72 as my approved position source.....any chance you could elaborate on the installation?......Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    I also have the Trig TT22 and have been considering the TN72 as my approved position source.....any chance you could elaborate on the installation?......Thanks.
    I had it done by a local avionics shop in Winchester, VA (On Wing). They mounted the GPS antenna below the top window and the TN72 behind the panel.

I had it done by a local avionics shop in Winchester, VA (On Wing). They mounted the GPS antenna below the top window and the TN72 behind the panel.
    I wonder what it takes to wire it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I wonder what it takes to wire it in?
    The wiring is super simple; the hard part looks to be finding a good place to mount the TN72

Most likely the wiring is simply power, ground and RS232 serial data from the position source to the transponder. We have used the Garmin GPS 20A for the same thing with either Garmin hardware or with a Trig transponder. It works well with either. As I recall with one of the early ones we had to also wire in an airspeed switch to tell the system when to go from ground to airborne mode but I believe that has been taken care of by software. Corporately we are using the GTX345 in about 95 percent of the airplanes now, or a GTX45R when we are interfacing to a Garmin GTN series.

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    I also have the Trig TT22 but used the GRT Safefly2020 GPS as my position source. Connecting to the transponder was easy and I could use the same GPS for my GRT HX EFIS.

The only issue I have at the moment is no automatic Air/Ground switching. That was the only red ink on my PAPR report.

I need to dig into the software to see if there is a way to use GPS ground speed to switch. The manual only seems to refer to using a squat switch or an STC for using a pitot-static based airspeed switch to ground the squat switch pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post
    I also have the Trig TT22 but used the GRT Safefly2020 GPS as my position source. Connecting to the transponder was easy and I could use the same GPS for my GRT HX EFIS.

The only issue I have at the moment is no automatic Air/Ground switching. That was the only red ink on my PAPR report.

I need to dig into the software to see if there is a way to use GPS ground speed to switch. The manual only seems to refer to using a squat switch or an STC for using a pitot-static based airspeed switch to ground the squat switch pin.
    There is a setting on the TT22 configuration page that uses GPS to switch the transponder from ground to air mode.

There is a setting on the TT22 configuration page that uses GPS to switch the transponder from ground to air mode.
    That's the way the Garmin GDL 82 works too. There are settings to let it know when the plane must be flying rather than in a taxi.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I've been all through the configuration again and can't find how to do this. I see in the manual it says it can be done, but not how. The squat switch options has ignored, open=ground or open=flight.

Can you recall how you set it up?