Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor rating

Default Poor rating

I just finished a phone conversation with my insurance carrier.
    I called them to renew my policy and to inquire about adding my 24 year old grandson to the insurance coverage on my CC-160.
    He has 500 + hours and is a flight instructor in a part 141 flight school, flying and teaching daily.
    He has commercial, instrument flight-instructor and tail wheel ratings.
    my insurance carrier told me they are no longer insuring Carbon Cubs for pilots with less than 100 hours time in type.
    when I asked why, I was told it was because of the "very large number of loss of control on landing accidents".
    They said the airplane was "so light" that there were lots of damage accidents.
    Have any of you had similar reactions from your insurance carrier?
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 04-02-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Default Re: Poor rating

My underwriter, Starr Insurance, has no issues with insurance. I use a broker in Boston, and they have worked very well with me and my owners. Would be happy to share broker's contact information, if there is anything that might help.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

I too have used Starr with no issues, and I get it thru Northwest Insurance Group (503-640-6060). I recommend all my Carbon Cub customers to them.

I think you have an insurance company that is not very familiar with Carbon Cubs.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    I too have used Starr with no issues, and I get it thru Northwest Insurance Group (503-640-6060). I recommend all my Carbon Cub customers to them.

I think you have an insurance company that is not very familiar with Carbon Cubs.

Rick

Or That company has experienced a loss. MK
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

I've used all the insurance companies talked about below and the one that gave me the best pricing and more information about how aircraft insurance brokers work was Aviation Insurance Managers, Inc (AIG), talk to Steve Neeley 800-827-4554. I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

I don't think that my insurance company would resort to such stringent tules for just one accident.
    They are one of the largest aviation insurers.
    Insurance companies have some way to track all accidents I think.
    There must be a lot of damage accidents that we don't hear about or this wold not have happened.
    Thats the point, not finding someone to insure me.
    i had no problem renewing my insurance. They just would not add my grandson because of accidents in CC-160s.
    Bill

PS: There is no question that a CC is very difficult to handle in a strong or gusty crosswind.
    My personal limit is 15k. Any more and I find another place to land or land on grass or a taxiway that's more into the wind.
    Last edited by seastar; 04-06-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Please explain.

"PS: There is no question that a CC is very difficult to handle in a strong or gusty crosswind."
    Last edited by jasimmons; 04-06-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Wink Re: Poor rating

PS: There is no question that a CC is very difficult to handle in a strong or gusty crosswind.

What's not with someone just hanging on for the ride.

Well I guess that according to the last two posts I need a lot more training in my CC
    I do find that I can handle about twice the crosswind in my CitationJet than I can in my CarbonCub.
    Maybe it has something to do with gross weight,inertia and wing loading not my skill level?
    But then, I didn't say I could not land the CC in a strong, gusty crosswind I said it was "difficult".
    I find that at a little above 15k (17mph) I began to run out of rudder and aileron. Foot to the floor and stick to the stop. Then you are forced to land from a crab on one wheel. Not fun on narrow pavement!

This thread started because I wondered if anyone else had a reaction from their insurance company.
    Thanks to those who replied about that.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Well I guess that according to the last two posts I need a lot more training in my CC
    I do find that I can handle about twice the crosswind in my CitationJet than I can in my CarbonCub.
    Maybe it has something to do with gross weight,inertia and wing loading not my skill level?
    But then, I didn't say I could not land the CC in a strong, gusty crosswind I said it was "difficult".
    I find that at a little above 15k (17mph) I began to run out of rudder and aileron. Foot to the floor and stick to the stop. Then you are forced to land from a crab on one wheel. Not fun on narrow pavement!

This thread started because I wondered if anyone else had a reaction from their insurance company.
    Thanks to those who replied about that.
    Bill
    Bill,
    With do respect my response was not directed at you or anyone in particular however I do think there is a misconception that a cute cub is a pussy cat. As we all know there is a undesirable flip side to light, nimble and powerful, if it takes the insurance companies requirement for additional training to help make our type of flying safer and ultimately less expensive so be it.