Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prelim amphib pirep

Default Re: Prelim amphib pirep

Which prop are you using?

Kept the stock Catto 54 pitch and it performes VERY well, no change needed. Regards Gary

I will be using a McCauley metal prop. will be interesting to see how the composite Cato holds up to water abrasion. when I get mine I will let you know the performance numbers. regards, Royce

Well its official. Randy and I earned our Sea Plane endorsements at Jack Browns Winter Haven FL last week and Chip was there freshening up his skills also. This plane on Amphibs Just too much fun although we all also flew the J-3 which really is a great learning airplane as one has to really manage energy while the Carbon Cub has so much power its almost cheating. Game plan is Bush Wheels for the Winter and Amphibs in the Summer. Stay tuned as Sun and Fun in Lakeland is next week and we all head to the Sea Plane Splash In. Best to all Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glickle; 04-11-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Gary:

Very cool! They are going to love those in the Bahamas!

Gary, my firend how in the heck at 6' 7" did you ever fir in the J3?

Geo

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Gary, my firend how in the heck at 6' 7" did you ever fir in the J3?

Geo
    Back seat but of course! It actually works back there! Best Gary

How big a deal is it to change form Tundra tires to floats, and vice-versa? Is this something the owner can do by him/her self? How much time does it take?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sanford View Post
    How big a deal is it to change form Tundra tires to floats, and vice-versa? Is this something the owner can do by him/her self? How much time does it take?
    I have changed back and forth ( not including Buaman orginal instalation) 3 xs now from Bauman Amphibs to tundra then back amphibs and am about to go back to Tundras as here in Florida I do it seasonally. That said on the first install of amphibs highly suggest let the pros do it as lots to do cutting and hardware install and took Bauman as I recall about 4-5 days. I will let CC answer how long it takes Stan and company to get er done as they are now the guys to do it. Once installed its pretty straight forward to R&R them and a handy owner could do it and the lifting rings are already on the plane and takes about a half day or a little more. I kid my shop here about the time it takes them and show them that in Alaska they are able to do it in just 2-3 hours. Of course they have a huge line up of guys every spring and fall to do just that. I think I am the only one here swapping them out seasonally. Best Gary