Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear Options

Default Re: Gear Options

[QUOTE=Springloaded;20766]
    Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Chuck, what pitch with the 84?[/QUOTE
    Geez you want all my secrets 42.5
    I have that prop too; 84x42.5. Excellent performer on the O-340.

Chuck why why would you say the Baby Bushwheel is a huge disadvantage for take off? I think mine is a great addition for the places I fly. Actually I have two. One I made free-castering which is better yet. The only time I put the other one on is when I’m going on a long cross-country and will probably have to land at a big paved airport for fuel. The free-castering version is tough to taxi with in a crosswind.

BEB40721-A53B-45DC-8A98-1B704FE6B96B.jpg
    Last edited by Dan L; 02-11-2018 at 06:38 AM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    "My last two aircraft FX-2 and FX-3 have both had 3x3 uncovered with SS Brake lines on 1.75" brakes with 31" tires. Wouldn't change a thing. With a lot of people unfamiliar with Cubs getting in and out of the aircraft frequently, I prefer the uncovered gear so that they aren't tempted to step right in the middle of the fabric area. With it being uncovered that temptation goes away."

​Do you think there is a speed consequence with uncover gear?
    I have heard 5mph. My gear is now covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Dan L;20768][QUOTE=Springloaded;20766]

Chuck why why would you say the Baby Bushwheel is a huge disadvantage for take off?
    Huge might have been the wrong word it probably adds 20’ to takeoff roll. That seems huge to me.

5MPH seems a bit crazy. Maybe in a 65-J3 with6” tires.
    I just flew a CC with 26s standard covered gear back from Sebring 2300Rpm 112 TAS I purposely set it to see how fast it actually cruises compared to mine ive never had 26s on one. ‘I have flown with 8.00 it seemed quite a it faster,it would seem the biggest speed deficit was going up to the 26s from them after that it’s all seemed minimal to me. I here a lot of that talk I just haven’t seen it at all.

My set up with my 35s I was 105 TAS I had the 80-50 prop on at the time. I’ve uncovered 4 sets can’t say I ever noticed anything. I figure for a carbon cub at 2250rpm my cruise I’m a 100mph airplane no matter what the configuration and it seem to hold true.
    The 84” prop probably does the most damage to cruise speed for me I have to run a extra 100rpm if I want to run with 80-50 at the same speed.
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Springloaded; 02-11-2018 at 05:05 PM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Sitting here thinking 🤔 (I try not to do much of that)I guess I’ve always used 26s as a Base line because that’s probably the smallest tires I actually see running around on a carbon cub and probably the most popular. If we were to use 6.00 x 6” for a base line which are actually stock tires on one maybe it really is that dramatic.
    I have never actually seen them on a flying CC.
    Last edited by Springloaded; 02-11-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News