Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World VFR and Garmin Autopilot

Default World VFR and Garmin Autopilot

Anyone try this yet? Can't determine from research if the 796 will run a GMC 307 or if it requires additional hardware.

Cheers,

Andrew

Default Re: World VFR and Garmin Autopilot

Wont work as you have it shown. The Garmin experimental autopilot has to have at least a G5 along with the GMC 305/307 as well as the servos. The GMU 11 magnetometer is not a requirement but would be very useful otherwise the autopilot will follow the GPS track the G5 has via the “TRACK” bug. The AERA 796 will provide navigation information that the autopilot will follow using RS 232 NMEA format into the G5. You will also need a GPS antenna connected to the G5 as well for the AHRS aiding the G5 is required to have.

If you simply want to couple an autopilot to a 796 without any other hardware then the tru trak vizion 385 would be your best alternative. It will take the nav data from the 796. That being said, its not really an apples to apples comparison and would not be fair to expect the trutrak to perform exactly as the garmin does, but before the garmin system became available we had installed probably a couple dozen tru trak systems.

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics

Thanks Mike. You and Jon D. have been very helpful. I’m asking about this option bc I’m getting close to getting ADSB compliant. Figured I might install an AP while we’re at it. Tru Track seems cheaper and easier. Problem is, the pireps on the tru track have not been so positive. Don’t need to shoot approaches, just need an extra hand when I don’t have one.

Any other options been installed? Dynon?

Andrew

Dynon works with Dynon, and they're not bad at all. Ive installed several different Dynon systems up to the Skyview. If you want the Dynon autopilot you more than likely will need a Dynon system because they use their own network very similar in architecture as Garmin uses its can bus network. I have never seen a Dynon autopilot as a stand alone system, without doing the research I would suspect it would require something similar to what Garmin has done with the G5 and how that system works with their autopilot head.

As far as the pireps go, I cant comment on that beyond the fact that when we install them they are installed and operating the way tru trak or whoever designed them specified them. I dont think its entirely fair to judge one brand against the other in terms of their capabilities because the Tru Trak is designed to be an add on and the others are part of an integrated system.

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics

Quote Originally Posted by mikesutton View Post
    Wont work as you have it shown. The Garmin experimental autopilot has to have at least a G5 along with the GMC 305/307 as well as the servos. The GMU 11 magnetometer is not a requirement but would be very useful otherwise the autopilot will follow the GPS track the G5 has via the “TRACK” bug. The AERA 796 will provide navigation information that the autopilot will follow using RS 232 NMEA format into the G5. You will also need a GPS antenna connected to the G5 as well for the AHRS aiding the G5 is required to have.

If you simply want to couple an autopilot to a 796 without any other hardware then the tru trak vizion 385 would be your best alternative. It will take the nav data from the 796. That being said, its not really an apples to apples comparison and would not be fair to expect the trutrak to perform exactly as the garmin does, but before the garmin system became available we had installed probably a couple dozen tru trak systems.

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics
    I installed the tru trak & can't find the sweet spot on the settings to make pitch servo work correctly. It tracks ok will hold alt in smooth air. Tru trak says they can check it out at their facility. Only a couple hrs flight for me as soon as I finish my phase 1 I'll be heading there

Take a look at TruTrak's Gemini AP. I installed a Gemini, coupled it to the 796, and did not install the V.S.I. The unit performs the VSI function and much more. I moved the altimeter to the VSI hole and placed the Gemini in the altimeter hole. I have been pleased with the performance of the unit and the support from TruTrak but it is my first experience with an AP. YMMV
    Last edited by mikemacon; 01-29-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Andrew, I have installed TruTrak autopilots in several Carbon Cubs using the Garmin aera 560 as the sole navigator. The pilots have worked well, and we had no problem configuring them to work with Garmin GPS. You might talk to Lucas Massengale at TruTrak in Springdale, AR to get more insight on your plan.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

I have copied and pasted the initial settings that we used back when we were doing a lot of Tru Trak installs. I believe this is what we were providing to customers as a baseline for them in case they changed settings from these defaults and needed to know where to go back to if need be. I would also say that more often than not, a lot of issues were from people who did not let the system initialize when the aircraft was completely stationary. Im NOT saying that is what anyone is doing but simply saying we found that was quite often the case. These were settings that we found would get you very close out of the box and then one could go from here to make small changes. These would also generally apply to the older Digiflight units as well.

Cub Crafters/TruTrak Auto-Pilot Settings
    Procedure:
    In the Vizion setup screens, pressing ALT will advance the page to the next setup screen. Pressing MODE will return to the previous screen. Rotating the KNOB changes the values. Pressing the KNOB exits the setup mode.

To access Lateral Setup: Press and hold MODE.

Lateral Settings
    LAT ACTIVITY: 5
    BAUD: 9600 (when connected to a Garmin, Aera 796 GPS - it must match the baud rate of your GPS )
    BANK ANGLE: MED
    MICROACTIVITY: 0
    GPSS GAIN: 16
    YAW DAMPER?: N

To access Vertical setup: Press and hold ALT.
    Vertical Settings
    VRT ACTIVITY: 5
    MIN AIRSPD: 60
    MAX AIRSPD:120
    PITCH REV: N
    STATIC LAG: 0
    MICROACTIVITY: 0
    HALF-STEP?: N

For description and details of each function, see TruTrak Operating Handbook, Section 5.
    If these settings are used and you experience issues with your TruTrak autopilot’s performance, please contact TruTrak at 1-866-TRUTRAK to verify Mac setting

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics

Thanks Mike!

Andrew, check out page 6 of THIS BROCHURE.

Garmin Autopilot.png
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200