Thread: Fuel fitting nut torque?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fuel fitting nut torque?

I’m in the middle of my 2018 Condition Inspection and discovered that there is some fuel seepage at a couple of my plastic fittings. I found this after opening the panel behind the fuel valve and with a flashlight seeing some blue fuel dye on the connections.

Thinking the nut had backed off a bit, despite the Superglue applied originally, I gently tightened the nut a very small amount. By very small I mean maybe one or two degrees of rotation. Almost nothing. Much to my surprise the nut cracked and a stream of 100 LL spewed out. I quickly threw some rags around it all. Some black electrical tape wrapped around things soon had the flow staunched.

These fittings are upstream from the valve. I turned the valve to the side causing the problem and drained 10 gallons out into empty jugs. That was a short term fix.

For a a permanent fix I called the CC parts department and ordered some new fittings after Laceigh told me the replacements are made from a different material. Crack-proof I hope.

So, all of this is leading up to my question; how much tightening torque are builders putting on these nuts? The Nyloseal instructions say two to two and a half turns. I suspect I had these over tightened and that was the source of the seeps. But maybe not. Any advice?

E7981CEE-0674-4A37-9B8B-BF73F24439E4.jpg
    Last edited by Dan L; 02-05-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Removal of iPad’s extra words thrown in.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011