Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TacAero suspension test: Stock bungees, AOSS, TK1, and Acme "Black Ops" Gen3

Default Re: TacAero suspension test: Stock bungees, AOSS, TK1, and Acme "Black Ops" Gen3

I'm installing my Gen 3 Acme Aero on my EX2. Had to turn down the spacers nearest the centerline of the fuselage by 0.014 each to fit in the Cabane Vee. Nice to have a metal lathe. They fit perfectly now. The shocks were shipped with shims, which I did not need to use. Interesting, the bolt through holes in the spacers are off center, so I set both sides so the hole was set closest to the midline of the aircraft. I wonder if this is the best setup? Does it matter as long as both sides are installed in a similar manner?

David

IMG_7245.jpg

IMG_7246.jpg

Default Re: TacAero suspension test: Stock bungees, AOSS, TK1, and Acme "Black Ops" Gen3

David
    All the Cabanvee’s seem to very a little bit, haven’t heard of any one having to turn one down. There offset like that because some of the Cabanvees don’t have the clearance for the shock. It seems more prevalent on the Straight 3”HD Cabanvee,which is what I usually run ,I wouldn’t think it would matter where they were it really just changing the length of the shock a little bit.
    Let us know how they work.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

David. They had a short video posted on their website which I viewed before installing mine. They say to have the hole “ON TOP” when installing. Mine was a tight fit as well but I didn’t need to machine it down, just a little pressure to get it started into the slot and then a plastic/rubber mallet got it in the right place to linen up the holes. I love them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V77Hg5NlDxU

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    I'm installing my Gen 3 Acme Aero on my EX2. Had to turn down the spacers nearest the centerline of the fuselage by 0.014 each to fit in the Cabane Vee. Nice to have a metal lathe. They fit perfectly now. The shocks were shipped with shims, which I did not need to use. Interesting, the bolt through holes in the spacers are off center, so I set both sides so the hole was set closest to the midline of the aircraft. I wonder if this is the best setup? Does it matter as long as both sides are installed in a similar manner?

David

IMG_7245.jpg

IMG_7246.jpg
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    My point was that I cannot think of one automotive or aircraft application of a shock absorber designed specifically to handle maximum loads in the extended position. I think there is a very good reason for this. Could be wrong.
    I think that is a good point. But I think the problem is that when gear systems are designed to absorb shocks in compression they get more complicated and draggy. The traditional Cub gear seems to be a good compromise.

The least drag would be the spring gear, like the X Cub wears. Maybe that’s the best compromise for use on semi-improved surfaces? I’d like to demo an X Cub and some of the other Cub suspension mods. My experience is just with bungees and AOSS.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I think that is a good point. But I think the problem is that when gear systems are designed to absorb shocks in compression they get more complicated and draggy. The traditional Cub gear seems to be a good compromise.

The least drag would be the spring gear, like the X Cub wears. Maybe that’s the best compromise for use on semi-improved surfaces? I’d like to demo an X Cub and some of the other Cub suspension mods. My experience is just with bungees and AOSS.
    I have not noticed any change in cruise speeds with the Beringer gear. Biggest issue is ground handling in high winds. Depending on inflation pressure in struts, AOA is 3 degreee higher when taxiing which can go to another 3 degree pitch up with strong headwinds. All this happens because the struts are under pressure and when they get lightly loaded they push the gear to even high AOA. Because of the high AOA airplane flys immediately with full power.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

I looked at Backcountry Rev 2 Cub at a fly-in over the weekend. It had what they call the Porter style gear. The owner could almost pull the wing tip down to ground level with both tires staying planted on the ground! And this was on 35” tires.

It it is interesting to see the different ideas on Cub gear being played out. Advantages and disadvantages to all I think. I wonder about crosswind landings with a wing low or landing on slopes like a beach?

BTW this is a big airplane both in size and weight. It is longer, wider and has a bigger wing span. And it had a third seat with its own door. An IO 400 engine and Whirlwind prop. But the empty weight is 1400 pounds! My thought was this airplane is more like a C-180 than a Cub.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Here is a hydrosorb with bungees and cc3” hd gear shock strut

Acme aero black ops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flew over to NC yesterday after being at my farm in Ga. I went to see Matt and Eric at Acme Suspension. I got a tour of the production facility,were the shocks are fabricated and assembled. They gave me a pretty detailed look at the inners of these shocks,the springs,Valves and how they are adjusted. Watched them actually make a spring and the processes it goes thru before they are incorporated in to the Suspension. The test equipment and the manufacturing process is first class. I really wasn’t sure what to expect, there was test equipment for quality control at every station.
    Very well made product and the tech guys are sharp, these are not a bunch of rednecks in there backyard making shocks that for sure.

Chuck
    Last edited by Springloaded; 06-14-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Chuck,
    Do you have any pictures of your factory visit you can share?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    Chuck,
    Do you have any pictures of your factory visit you can share?
    David
    Nope. I learned that if you submerge your Iphone in coffee it’s doesn't operate very well.
    I didn’t ask either but not sure they want people taking pictures of there operation there is a lot going on in there. This is truly a over and above the top manufacturing facility. To say there a couple million dollars of equipment in there wouldn’t be out of line.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com