Thread: Connecting fuel lines to Gascolator and drain

Default Connecting fuel lines to Gascolator and drain

How do you tie the two fuel lines after you place the boot cowl to the gascolator and the drain, after you fixed the boot cowl?
    Only to cut the tubes and adjust them in the fittings, seems to me a big challenge.

signal-2022-07-02-090853.jpg

Default Re: Connecting fuel lines to Gascolator and drain

Good Morning (afternoon for you)

You actually cut the lines to fit and connect them through the hatch there in your photo. There is a 90 degree elbow that goes onto that drain first (see the diagram). I usually install it before installing the boot cowl but it isn’t necessary.

It isn’t too difficult. You can still access those lines from inside the cockpit where they come out of the fuel selector and drain line. . I cut any tie wraps I may have temporarily installed on the lines there on the left side fuse so I can push/pull the lines as I cut and install them. That way when you are working through the hatch, just push the lines either way as you fit them. Just be sure the lines are still running downhill from the fuel selector valve and drain lines (when airplane is in level, flight position).

Be sure to use the inserts into the ends of the fuel lines (like all the other connections) before tightening the nuts. Not much room to get the wrench in there and slow going being able to only tighten like 1 flat at a time, but it works.

i leave the hatch cover off until I’m ready for first flight because I like to look at those connections for leaks after putting fuel into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by PBY Catalina View Post
    How do you tie the two fuel lines after you place the boot cowl to the gascolator and the drain, after you fixed the boot cowl?
    Only to cut the tubes and adjust them in the fittings, seems to me a big challenge.

signal-2022-07-02-090853.jpg
    Last edited by Daveembry; 07-02-2022 at 06:33 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Default Re: Connecting fuel lines to Gascolator and drain

Done !

Tks Dave !

2.jpg