Recently I made a comment on supercub.org about my trim positions for take off and landing. This was on a thread about the new FX3. A poster on that site, who also posts here, didn’t think much of my technique. So I thought it would be more appropriate to bring up a discussion about trim here rather than on that thread.

So the question is how are other Carbon Cub pilots setting their trim during these two phases of flight? Do you trim for a neutral stick, nose down or nose up? The other fellow, who I hope takes part in this discussion, likes nose up trim.

My choice is full nose down trim for both. And I should mention that I’m flying an early EX on 31s. I know tail feathers have changed a bit over time and that the EX/ FX2 and 3 have more nose down trim that early versions. And they also have different and better balanced flaps.

When I get into the pattern or close to the landing area I pull one notch of flaps around 65 MPH. This wants to pitch the nose up some and I immediately trim full nose down. About the time I’m trimmed like this I’ll pull a second notch. It also means I’m now pulling some back stick to keep the nose from pitching too far down. I like this feel. It just seems right to me to be holding some back pressure on the stick during this phase of flight. As I get closer to touching and having rolled out onto final I pull the third notch of flaps. Less back stick pressure is needed with full flaps and reduced airspeed.

My AOA is also increasing and the plane is definitely behind the curve. I’m holding 1300 rpm or so and slowly reducing that as I get closer to touching. Airspeed is in the 40s and at touchdown my airspeed indicator is mid 30s. I like a tail low wheel landing and once the mains touch I release what stick pressure remains bringing the tail up and coming to a stop with the tail up most of the way. I’m also usually on the brakes and the elevator and brake pressure keep the tail where I want it. This seems very natural and comfortable to me with the tail wanting to fly. I only three point it when on skis or soft stuff, like sand.

I’ve tried other trim positions and methods and this technique yields the shortest landings for me. And I have several thousand landings in this airplane now.

For take off I leave the trim where it was for landing. Full nose down trim along with two notches of flaps pops the tail up quickly and within a second or two the plane is off. The airspeed indicator is showing about 25. After I’ve gained a little speed the flaps are milked off and the trim is on its way to a neutral setting. This too results in the shortest take offs for me. And I’ve tried other trim settings and take offs from the three point attitude. I like to get the tail up quickly too for best visibility.

When I test flew the FX2 In 2015 I used these exact same methods and got the same results. And the FX2 has an inch or more of nose down jack screw travel than my EX. I used all of it.

What are the rest of you using?