Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trim setting for take off and landing?

Default Re: Trim setting for take off and landing?

[QUOTE=Springloaded;20195]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Actually those pictures are from Alaska. But we've got some fun places here too.

Yes it's a cool place to fly for sure I was lucky to spend a few day out there last year.
    I recognize that Cub. I talked with the owner at the trade show in May, mostly about his new pod. In fact I think you and I may have had a brief conversation then too.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

[QUOTE=Dan L;20197]
    Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post

I recognize that Cub. I talked with the owner at the trade show in May, mostly about his new pod. In fact I think you and I may have had a brief conversation then too.
    Dan
    Very possible I was only at Valdez. He offered me his plane if I showed up so I took him up on it. Beautiful country there. Pod is top notch little smaller than mine but the quality/workmanship is awesome.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Hey guys! I agree with Chuck, whatever works best for you is the best technique. For what it's worth I use full nose down trim on take off. My priority on take off is the quickest acceleration possible. To accelerate as quickly as possible I want the wing at zero angle of attack, producing as little drag as possible, and the prop pulling parallel to the surface I'm taking off on. To accomplish this I want the tail up as soon as possible, I do that with full nose down trim and the stick forward until the tail is up.

For landing I have the trim all the way aft and the stick all the way back to achieve the appropriate angle of attack for the approach.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCubDriver View Post
    Chuck is easily under 30.!

Few days ago guy was following me around in his CC he couldn't get in one of the local strips I stopped at. Challenging but nothing crazy. So last night Went over to his house got in the back seat with him and went over showed him the approach,you have to wind through and over some trees it's one way in and out. We landed wayyy long. When we Came over trees I kept telling him (need to slow down) We ate up over half the pasture still flying in ground effect. Got him to dump the flaps got on the brakes and all was well. There is no go around at this point house and power lines. We stopped i said we were way too fast he said I was at 45. Went back to his house and we practice a few times getting him to slow down,when we stopped he told me your coming over the trees @ 35 and Airspeed is @ zero way before touch down. Thought about Dan asking what my IAS are so I went out tonight to see what they are. DYNON said I had a 5MPH direct cross wind coming in seemed perfectly calm on the ground. I tried looking on takeoff first time steam gauge was still at 0 when I got rid of the flaps and landing same thing steam gauge was 0 hard to look inside find the speed on DYNON and tell what I'm doing so I got my VIRB out so I could try and see what my speeds are. If you stop the video it looks like I left the ground IAS was just coming alive and in the teens GS. Landing IAS looks like right at 20IAS 30GS. I flew the length of the runway indicating low20s IAS low 30GS so sure my ground speed would be a little less on a decent. Video pretty shaky and it was getting dark. That was actually a lot of fun If I can figure out VIRB from being so shaky be neat to see how slow you can actually land one of these. (Good Guess Mike)
    Last edited by Springloaded; 12-20-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Chuck those ground speed numbers sounds reasonable to me in a lightly loaded CC at sea level. I’m often fairly heavy and at higher DA and see mid 30s to 40ish with no headwind.

I’m on skis now and am making all 3-pointers again.

Hoping to to make a run to the cabins tomorrow. Lots of snow this week and tomorrow is supposed to be good and cold and sunny. 😁

Well it was cold and sunny. And there was a lot of fresh powder. 30” or so.

147B719E-4041-43A6-98A7-4446E50591FD.jpg

With these big foot print skis I don’t usually lay tracks first. But I did today.

DCED5812-393F-4744-A4B5-B181DE26CFFB.jpg

The landings were all 3-pointers. But laying tracks first is similar to wheel landing.

29D15C22-951A-40A2-A256-3120B002C725.jpg

This was another area the same day and with much less snow. But it shows how big these skis are. It takes a lot of very loose snow to bury them. I’ve never been stuck in the CC.