Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Door Headers

Default Carbon Fiber Door Headers

I didn't like the plaint painted door headers so I decided to go with carbon fiber. I think they turned out pretty good.

MR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Door Headers

They look great nice work.
    EV

Balfour,Southland, South Island, New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    I didn't like the plaint painted door headers so I decided to go with carbon fiber. I think they turned out pretty good.

MR
    Can you do another set and send them to N Z.. They look magic. And give a cost $$
    Last edited by terry; 10-03-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Beautiful! How did you do it? Do they duplicate the CC carbon fiber as to sheen, etc? Any weight saving? Very nice.

Michael

Is that an overlay or did you make solid carbonfiber? It looks really good.

I wish I was talented enough to make them out of real carbon fiber but I'm not. It is a newer product from 3M and its called carbon fiber DI-NOC. Its a textured vinyl wrap that looks like the real thing. I have seen it used for interior and exterior panels on cars and it holds up very well.

Just search for it on YouTube and it will pull up a few install videos. It is a sticky back material and they recommend a 3M adhesive promoter. The car guys say if you use the promotor it won't peel back on the tightest curves. I lightly scotch brighted the panel, cleaned it with alcohol then applied two coats of adhesive promotor. You use a heat gun to help it to form around the corners and if you screw up you just peel it back and reset it. It also doesn't hold an air bubble, if you have them you just tap them out.

I was a little skeptical at first but I have to say I am more than impressed with this product. It is really hard to tell from the real thing.

MR

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Beautiful! How did you do it? Do they duplicate the CC carbon fiber as to sheen, etc? Any weight saving? Very nice.

Chuck,

They do not duplicate the CC carbon fiber sheen. It is more of a satin finish. I am tempted to make a test panel then clear coat it and see if I could get the same look as the CC side panels. I do have doubts that the clear coat would stick.

MR

MR

Very nice. I doubt I would have known it was not real.

Not sure I would want to give it the same shine as the side panels. Those panels will have various switches, fuses, fuel level indicator, etc, making more of an instrument panel than an arm rest so that a less glossy background may be preferable.

Also glare and reflections would be more likely from those panels because of their location - another reason to avoid the shine.

Thanks for the good info.

Chuck

I got the right side header done and you can see how consistent the product is. I have had no sings of any lifting on the edges on either panel.

Chuck, good point about the gloss on the upper panels. I am really liking the satin finish.

MR
    Last edited by Cubrath; 10-04-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    I got the right side header done and you can see how consistent the product is. I have had no sings of any lifting on the edges on either panel.

Chuck, good point about the gloss on the upper panels. I am really liking the satin finish.

MR
    Do you think the material would be suitable as a glare shield covering on the dash?