Thread: Building A Cub

Default Building A Cub

I am private pilot, haven't flown much recently, but always dreamed of building a plane. I fly recreationally, mostly enjoying looking out the window. I do not have any performance needs. I have always admired the cubs and recently learned that cub crafters has an agent at my local airport. He has kindly answered all my questions, shown me the aircraft and taken me for a flight.

My conundrum is, while I can afford to purchase the kits over the next 3-5 years, I worry about the time and space needed to build them. I have a young family (kids aged 2 and 6), we regularly spend weekends at my in-laws weekend house, my work schedule is fairly demanding, though I often work from home. How much time are people spending on their aircraft each week? Would 4-8 hours weekly suffice to make progress? Or does it take long hours, over multiple days to make progress? Would you recommend to wait until retirement, or at least a sabbatical to build?

Secondly, how much space is needed? I have a single car garage. which is long enough to fit two cars in. Would that suffice? I think having to build it at a secondary location would make it more difficult with my other time constraints.

Any thoughts, hints, etc would be much appreciate. I fear having $100,000 of parts in my garage and not making progress. You do not need to look far to see how many partial kit built are around (though there does not seem to be many CubCrafter kits in the mix). Thanks for your feedback.

Default Re: Building A Cub

My $0.02 worth of opinion, I'm currently building an EX-2.

Time required to build: you will find or make time if you so desire. I cannot comment on the time needed to build, but the plane builds FAST! You are basically just assembling the plane, not having to fabricate any parts. Like a plastic model airplane, you just put it together (as opposed to building an RV, where there is a lot of part fabrication).

Space required; you have enough room in you two car garage, but the problem will be parking outside in the winter, and storing completed structures. Depending on the height of the garage, I guess you could suspend the completed wings overhead. Another issue will be covering, you will eventually need a spray booth.

If you have a passion to build a plane, don't put it off or wait until 'retirement'. Life is short, family first, but think of all the good times your young children will have flying with dad.

Cheers
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Default Re: Building A Cub

Something to think about. If you are building the aircraft because you like building things, like being challenged, you like understanding the inner workings of your plane, and like the sense of accomplishment, then this is a great project.
    It can be more fun and inspiring if you have someone to help you do some of the work. Even your kids as they get older could be of help if you keep it within their ability and your patience level. It should be rewarding for them as well as you, even if it takes longer. Kids need a dad so it would be challenging to spend time with them and there should be some reward in it for them. I wish I had spent more time with my kids on projects when they were available.
    If your help is an adult there are benefits to the fellowship. If space is an issue, you could consider relocating to a home where you have more storage space.
    Consider once finished there will be added expense of storing it in a suitable hanger near a runway, insurance, maintenance and inspections. Partnership is an option to consider to spread the cost.
    It doesn't sound like time is too important and you can set it aside as long as you have the inspiration to get back to the project. Document your progress and share with friends of like interest. That should help.