Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Low Cost ADS-B From Garmin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Low Cost ADS-B From Garmin

Just became aware of THIS new unit coming soon from Garmin, the GDL 82. Looks very promising. Low cost, minimally invasive, appears to be FAA certified. Could be an ideal retrofit for older Cubs with Mode C transponders. Pairs nicely with the upcoming GDL 52, a portable SiriusXM/Dual band ADS-B receiver.

Last edited by Jon Delamarter; 10-19-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200

Default Re: New Low Cost ADS-B From Garmin

Jon, are these going to be portable for use in other aircraft, or " hard mounted" like the current ones must be? Looks like a great solution to the ADSB mandate.

As mentioned, Garmin lists TSO c74 antenna as OK for GTX335. Rami AV22 meets that.

https://www.rami.com/product/av-22/

Certainly not fighting the concept of blade antenna, but using original well engineered "dome teardrop" factory mounting seems better than fabricating something new.

The AV22 is advertised as an ADSB antenna with VSWR of 1.3 max for the transponder frequency.
    Last edited by stroutmail; 08-12-2018 at 06:50 AM.

I won't reply for Jon, but these are not really designed to be removed and reinstalled in multiple aircraft, its not really a portable device from that standpoint. To be stand alone it requires its own GPS antenna with the internal GPS - or an approved GPS source like a GTN or GNS series nav com - and it is also desired to mount it as close to the L band transponder antenna as is possible. I would also expect that in many cases the traditional ball txp antenna will have to be swapped for the blade type to better support the data that is sent in and out. Additionally, it requires configuring via laptop so it really becomes paired to one particular aircraft and existing transponder at that point since you cant easily go back and change configurations without the laptop and installation software.

Just fyi and fwiw, thanks

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics

20180810_101548.jpg

Presently a nice bracket that shoulder harness is attached to also provides neat mounting for GXM-30 XM antenna and GA 26 antenna for Garmin 496. To get ADSB, need to mount a GA35 or GA37 WAAS antenna..different mounting. Both/either would need to be mounted further forward to clear harness bolts.

Any factory adapter brackets or instructions????20180810_101349.jpg

Personally I would say you're probably on your own to devise a mounting plate if you want to use that existing bracket. GPS antennas such as the GA35, 36, etc have some clearly defined mounting criteria which Garmin covers, spacing from Com antennas and things like that. Do you have an antenna on the turtle deck already? There are combination GPS / Com antennas that would replace the existing Com antenna on the turtle deck, which is just one possibility. If you don't have a Com antenna on the turtle deck, that location would be a good location for a GPS antenna. Be wary of getting the GPS and Com antennas too close to each other though, regardless of how you end up mounting it.

Best of luck on that

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics

Quote Originally Posted by mikesutton View Post
    Personally I would say you're probably on your own to devise a mounting plate if you want to use that existing bracket. GPS antennas such as the GA35, 36, etc have some clearly defined mounting criteria which Garmin covers, spacing from Com antennas and things like that. Do you have an antenna on the turtle deck already? There are combination GPS / Com antennas that would replace the existing Com antenna on the turtle deck, which is just one possibility. If you don't have a Com antenna on the turtle deck, that location would be a good location for a GPS antenna. Be wary of getting the GPS and Com antennas too close to each other though, regardless of how you end up mounting it.

Best of luck on that

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics
    Mike, I am sorry, but what is a "turtle deck"? My com antenna is on the bottom of the plane a few feet behind the pin/ball transponder antenna on the belly pan.

And--does not a WAAS GPS antenna have to be able to see the sky--i.e. mounted on top of the plane?20180810_101313.jpg
    Last edited by stroutmail; 08-10-2018 at 12:05 PM.

The turtle deck is on top of the aircraft right behind the skylight. I didn't know what vintage of aircraft you had so I was speaking in very general terms. We haven't been putting com antennas on the belly for some time now. Since you have no com antenna on top of the aircraft, the turtle deck is a prime location, roughly in the center of it though you might have to offset a bit to miss any compound curves where it was formed.

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics

Quote Originally Posted by mikesutton View Post
    The turtle deck is on top of the aircraft right behind the skylight. I didn't know what vintage of aircraft you had so I was speaking in very general terms. We haven't been putting com antennas on the belly for some time now. Since you have no com antenna on top of the aircraft, the turtle deck is a prime location, roughly in the center of it though you might have to offset a bit to miss any compound curves where it was formed.

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics
    Understood--My plane is 2007, Sport Cub SN 28--BTW, I like the com antenna on the bottom---was hoping for a solution without having to drill exterior holes and disturb the headliner and thought the placement under the skylight on that bracket was quite "elegant". Making an adapter plate would be no big deal. I won't being using XM anyway, so just a GA35 will do fine. Debating on GTX335 with separate ADS-B vs GTX345 and upgrade the 496 to a Aera 660 (which BTW I am told will snap into the existing AirGizmo dock used for the 496.) The GDL82 is cool and cheap but does require mounting another box, so I prefer the GTX335 option. Going the GTX345 route is much more $, but avoids having another box for ADSB In. (Counting an iPad, there is already a lot of stuff to turn on and adjust--things need to be simple for us old guys.)
    Last edited by stroutmail; 08-10-2018 at 12:31 PM.

There are no free lunches unfortunately. I was just initially commenting about the mechanics of doing an installation or upgrade, there are lots of things to consider before one spends the $$ or drills the first hole. I can say that the existing ball antenna will not work with the GTX 335 or 345, ( they require a Comant Ci-105 or equivalent which resemble shark fins ) and the reason is the amount of data that the transponder is sending out when it broadcasts, a good analogy is bandwidth.

Garmin also wants about 3 ft separation between the transponder and transponder antenna. One thing often effects others in situations like this. I surmise you have an earlier production aircraft since the com antenna is on the belly panel, which would have made the gps antenna on the turtle deck a nice location. The GTX transponders need an approved GPS location source to do their job, which is why so many choose the models with the built in GPS and simply add the gps antenna. I believe you could probably put the transponder antenna on the belly panel, provided you can keep it far enough away from the com antenna.

Best regards

Mike Sutton
    Cubcrafters Avionics