Thread: Carb Ice, yes

Default Carb Ice, yes

I have about 185 hours on my carbon cub. I flew it all winter in Colorado and never had any carb ice. So being dumb I got out of the habit of using it. Last week in Idaho the outside temp was about 60 and it was very humid. I made a long gradual decent down a valley to sulpher creek for breakfast. As I got close to the strip to set up my down wind I reduced the throttle and the engine died. I was only going 55 mph and at about 300' so the prop just stopped as well. Luckliy I was already on down wind when it stopped so it wasn't a big deal.
    The point of my story is that the CC cub will defiantly ice up on you in the right conditions so use that carb heat.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Carb Ice, yes

Well, that must have awakened you. Nice job with the emergency even if it was self induced. Obviously, you handled it all well because you are here telling us about it.

Just how did you handle it?

John

holy Crap! That had to get your attention! No warning? How did you determine it was carb ice? And I would also like to hear how you handled the landing!...Good job!

Geo

Those temps with high humidity sound ideal for carb ice conditions.

Last weekend in Johnson Creek ID I had to put the carb heat on every few minutes after start up while taxing for takeoff. Probably in the 40s or 50s, with near 100% humidity. On runup you could see the moisture condensating from the prop compressing the air. W/O using carb heat often taxing in the line to take off it definately would have quite.

This was on a Sport Cub S2

Pete D.

With my 0-200 if I run too rich, I need carb heat. If I reduce throttle after a climb...need heat. If one of my tires is too low....need heat. If the stock market goes down...need, well, you get the picture. Ice has always been part of the picture with small Continentals... R

I guess most of my experience flying them has been here in Yakima with the dry desert air, so while I have made sure to make a habit of checking for it, it seems rare that I actually experience it.

Pete D.

Pete: We do get a break with warm summer temps and dry air....I envy the good dry air and near sea-level performance you guys get. Fencer: my congratulations too for handling a bad situation well in Idaho. R

Hey guys,

This is my first posting on the CC Forums so I'll start by introducing myself. My name's Bryce Hughes and I am the Sport Cub/ Carbon Cub production test pilot for Cub Crafters as well as one of the on staff CFI's. It's always important to remember that with the right conditions present...carb ice can (and will) form with OAT's into the 70's! As a rule...i like to maintain vigilence in the use of carb heat no matter what time of year. I usually will pull carb heat on after holding short for extended periods of time just prior to takeoff in cool temps and will almost ALWAYS shoot my approaches with carb heat on to avoid the situation of an engine failure while low and slow.

-Bryce

Well put Bryce;

I think you summed up nicely what I was trying to say, that I try and operate like it will be present, partly in order to make sure that the habit is always there. One less thing to think about in a strange environment when outside the local area.

Pete D.

Senior Member Warren Aircraft LLC's Avatar

Here is a good article on carb ice.

http://avstop.com/stories/carbice.htm