Thread: wanted carbon cub

Default wanted carbon cub

Looking to either buy a used CC @ $150K price point, or trade a nice Sport cub toward your Carbon Cub

Lemme know, thanks

Jim Crane
    Maine
    jimcrane04435@gmail.com

Default Re: wanted carbon cub

I have had a few offers come my way for used SS. Question, debating the value of long range fuel. I need to look up how much weight it adds and havent done it yet. Seems like more used SS dont have them than do. Must have or dont worry about it?

thx
    jim

One option for more fuel is a belly tank. You end up with more capacity than the long range tanks, the weight is in a good place, and you can remove it if you don't need the capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    I have had a few offers come my way for used SS. Question, debating the value of long range fuel. I need to look up how much weight it adds and havent done it yet. Seems like more used SS dont have them than do. Must have or dont worry about it?

thx
    jim
    Seems like is was like 40lb +/- add for the LR tanks if memory serve me. I built mine with the LR tanks and I enjoy having the option of loading additional fuel. I think the reason your don’t find many SS have them is staying under 1320 LSA. Most all EX have them since we are 1865.

Pete Meyer
    Severna Park, MD
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

One way or another Jim I would want the option of extra fuel flying up in the wilds. LR tanks, belly pod, or some fuel bags in the back. Anyway you slice it, it allows you longer legs to get further away from everything...or more individual legs before you have to find more gas.

I've got two of the fuel bags that AK Bushwheels used to (still does??) sell. They afford me the most flexibility without sacrificing unneeded airframe weight. Aviation is one big compromise...the flip side I have to muscle the fuel up onto the wing versus flipping a pump switch or just having a bigger wing tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    One way or another Jim I would want the option of extra fuel flying up in the wilds. LR tanks, belly pod, or some fuel bags in the back. Anyway you slice it, it allows you longer legs to get further away from everything...or more individual legs before you have to find more gas.

I've got two of the fuel bags that AK Bushwheels used to (still does??) sell. They afford me the most flexibility without sacrificing unneeded airframe weight. Aviation is one big compromise...the flip side I have to muscle the fuel up onto the wing versus flipping a pump switch or just having a bigger wing tank.

A shaker siphon can help in this scenario Clay talks about. I will watch for a CC in that range Jim. Thanks Mark
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Smile Re: wanted carbon cub

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post

Thanks Clay, good to hear from you. Your prediction from a couple years ago is coming true

I have had 5 really solid deals floated my way at close to my price point. One thing I will say, I have really enjoyed talking to CC guys, everyone to a man has nothing but good to say about CubCrafters, both the company and the products. Almost everyone is going to a newer CarbonCub. Call you soon Mark, I have to get my head above water at work

jim

I agree with Clay, find a CC with extended tanks. Everyone I've talked to with the small tanks wished they had put in or bought the extended. Just remember you don't need to fill them. Cubcrafters advised me to install the small tanks also, however, I've done enough backcountry flying to know fuel is a precious commodity in the mountains and it wasn't even a second thought for me......go extended. Because of the power you have at your fingertips the plane doesn't even know the few extra pounds of the additional tanks, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed having that extra range.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I agree with Clay, find a CC with extended tanks. Everyone I've talked to with the small tanks wished they had put in or bought the extended. Just remember you don't need to fill them. Cubcrafters advised me to install the small tanks also, however, I've done enough backcountry flying to know fuel is a precious commodity in the mountains and it wasn't even a second thought for me......go extended. Because of the power you have at your fingertips the plane doesn't even know the few extra pounds of the additional tanks, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed having that extra range.
    Yup, use what you need when you need it. I have a 50 hours CC EX with big tanks. N428HJ Its not $150k but its a 2016 and its red. You should call me for details Jim, Thanks Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region