Thread: Painting small parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Painting small parts

What is a good set up to paint the small parts? The air flow/force from my HVLP finishline4 gun is impressive.

I'm thinking to use double sided foam tape for the vortex generators, expanded metal set on a wooden frame for the other small parts.

Do you prime all sides of the small parts and spray the color on one side, let it dry and then paint the other side or?... Is it best to paint (or prime) the inside of the inspection covers, cable covers etc. or?...

Is it advisable to prime and or paint the inside of the boot cowl?

Thank you from this first time painter,

David

Default Re: Painting small parts

Turning the air way down, flow down and make the spray fan narrow. Adjust to get the right paint volume/finish. You waste little paint and parts do not move so badly. Use the expanded metal mesh so the air blows through.

I never painted the inside of the inspection covers. I only primed the inside of the boot cowl.

Did you apply primer to all parts of the boot cowl, even the firewall where the adhesive will be applied?
    I am also concerned as to how the firewall sealant will take paint.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Turning the air way down, flow down and make the spray fan narrow. Adjust to get the right paint volume/finish. You waste little paint and parts do not move so badly. Use the expanded metal mesh so the air blows through.

I never painted the inside of the inspection covers. I only primed the inside of the boot cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    Did you apply primer to all parts of the boot cowl, even the firewall where the adhesive will be applied?
    I am also concerned as to how the firewall sealant will take paint.
    I did not prime the fire wall. It will never corrode.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    What is a good set up to paint the small parts? The air flow/force from my HVLP finishline4 gun is impressive.

I'm thinking to use double sided foam tape for the vortex generators, expanded metal set on a wooden frame for the other small parts.

Do you prime all sides of the small parts and spray the color on one side, let it dry and then paint the other side or?... Is it best to paint (or prime) the inside of the inspection covers, cable covers etc. or?...

Is it advisable to prime and or paint the inside of the boot cowl?

Thank you from this first time painter,

David
    For the VG's, take some wide masking tape, double it up so sticks on both sides and stick it to a piece of cardboard or the expanded metal....then stick the VG's to the top side and spray. (This was another great Mitch suggestion).

I hung small parts from the ceiling of the paint booth by small wires (hung one off the other so it made a "chain" of parts from top to bottom. Connect the last part to something solid on the floor to keep it from moving around when you spray it. Some of the larger "small" parts I put on some mesh wire (chicken wire) from Home Depot so the air would spray through. This is just a cheap "expanded metal" substitute.

I primed all metal and sprayed both sides and did not do the inside of the boot or cowl.

Exciting getting to this stage isn't it!

Thanks Troy and Dave - Great suggestions!

I have all the avionics in boxes in the shop (Garmin G3X, GTN625, G5, ADSB etc...) Firewall forward kit shipped, Fuel injected engine from Ly-Con is being built, Catto Prop ordered.
    I am starting to glimpse the finish line...

Fun!
    David