Thread: Canada/Alaska 2017

Default Canada/Alaska 2017

I made another trip north in July with my EX. And a great trip it was. I met friends and we went fishing and did some other backcountry off airport type flying. The EX performed flawlessly and was all I could want in a capable off airport machine.

Ill post a few pictures. I have about 750 hours on this plane

IMG_3763.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Canada/Alaska 2017

Wow, you sure packed the cub full. Great pictures. Hopefully the poor vis from forest fires didn't effect your trip to badly. I am yet to make a big XC in the cub. When I have the time I will be leaving the RV10 at home and do some real exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Wow, you sure packed the cub full. Great pictures. Hopefully the poor vis from forest fires didn't effect your trip to badly. I am yet to make a big XC in the cub. When I have the time I will be leaving the RV10 at home and do some real exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Troy, the forest fire smoke from BC was bad at times. On my way north I got only to Cranbrook and diverted over to Alberta and got to Ft St John BC the first day. The next morning I waited out low clouds and rain until noon. Yukon and Alaska were fine as far as smoke. On the return northern BC east of Watson Lake was smoky on through about Grand Prairie AB. I stopped at Springbank that evening and the smoke was reducing visibility to 5-10 miles. Then when I got into Montana it was even worse. Today it cleared out nicely though.

Attachment 6638

Smoke in Alberta. This was the worst I saw and it didn't last too long like this.

You're right, the CC will pack a big load. I picked up the belly pod from Carbon Concepts in Wasilla when I got there. I had it full too mostly with fuel bags. Once we got out to northern Bristol Bay it was a long way to fuel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan L; 08-14-2017 at 07:35 PM.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0268 (2).jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

I flew a Beaver on floats from the right seat too.

Added a YouTube link to gravel bar landing in the EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Added a YouTube link to gravel bar landing in the EX.

Great to be able to use the plane for what it was really intended for! I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Maybe if you have time you could post a little of the route you took up there. Was fuel a probem going up to Alaska or only on the Bristol Bay portion? Did you have extended fuel or standard? Thanks for sharing.

Hi Dave, I've never found fuel availability to be a problem in Canada. That said, I've got extended range tanks. I prefer going north through BC but this trip swung out into Alberta both directions because of the forest fire smoke in BC. Going through BC and the Trench gets you to Watson Lake, Yukon where there is a credit card pump. This trip I picked up the Alaska Highway at Fort St. John and followed it through BC and then on through Yukon too.

I posted this picture in the cargo pod thread:

IMG_3751.jpg

The fuel bags available from Alaska Bushwheels are a great product. With these four bags full and the extended range tanks you can haul around 65 gallons. At 6 gph that is a lot of miles.

In the Bristol Bay area we bought fuel at Iliamna and Dillingham.

IMG_2148.jpg

I use a Mr. Funnel to keep it simple and the fuel clean.
    Last edited by Dan L; 09-21-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added image

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Hi Dave, I've never found fuel availability to be a problem in Canada. That said, I've got extended range tanks. I prefer going north through BC but this trip swung out into Alberta both directions because of the forest fire smoke in BC. Going through BC and the Trench gets you to Watson Lake, Yukon where there is a credit card pump. This trip I picked up the Alaska Highway at Fort St. John and followed it through Alberta and BC and then on through Yukon too.

I posted this picture in the cargo pod thread:

IMG_3751.jpg

The fuel bags available from Alaska Bushwheels are a great product. With these four bags full and the extended range tanks you can haul around 65 gallons. At 6 gph that is a lot of miles.

In the Bristol Bay area we bought fuel at Iliamna and Dillingham.
    Great. Thanks for the info. So with extended tanks you didn't need extra fuel to get to say Anchorage area. I drove the Alcan Highway in 1976 when it was 1,100 miles or curvy, gravel road. Looking forward to flying it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Great. Thanks for the info. So with extended tanks you didn't need extra fuel to get to say Anchorage area. I drove the Alcan Highway in 1976 when it was 1,100 miles or curvy, gravel road. Looking forward to flying it now!
    No, fuel range was never a problem. The longest leg by any route is the stretch between McKenzie BC and Watson Lake, about 400 miles.

I drove the Alcan in 1974 and know what you mean. It was an adventure then, more so than today. All gravel except through towns. Flying over it you can easily see some of the old routes that have since been bypassed. This is the 75th anniversary of the highway. My wife had an uncle that was a sawyer on it back in '42. A commemorative pamphlet I picked up in Ft St John says that there is courderoy layers of logs still under much of the present day highway.

IMG_3512.jpg
    Last edited by Dan L; 09-16-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added image