Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ENGINE: CHT Cooling

Default Re: ENGINE: CHT Cooling

Cool see ya there,or if your headed there same time maybe will go as a flight of 2
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Hot looking Cub!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been breaking in the CC340 Titan by Continental Motors on my recently completed EX(1). So far I have 12.5 hours on the engine. The CHTs of cylinders 3 & 4 have consistently been running 30-40* higher than 1 & 2. During these hours I have been observing the guidance CubCrafters provided in 'Titan 340CC Engine Brake-In & Oil Management Procedures for Owners'. Do I need to look for solutions or will time on the engine gradually resolve my concern? Or is there concern at all?

On the last flight at 1500 ft @ 66*F OAT here are details I recorded:

RPM 2325
    MP 20.3 Inches
    Full Rich Mixture - Fuel Flow 8.9 GPH
    Airspeed 112 MPH

1 2 3 4
    CHT 350* 352* 391* 375*

EGT 1245* 1235* 1340* 1285*

Comparing with the first flight hour snapshot I can see operating temperatures coming down a few degrees. However, on the first flights in October it was a good bit warmer here north of Houston. On that first flight I found there were times when I couldn't operate at 75% power without pushing cylinder #3 above 420* for an extended time that the procedures caution about.

I've found little chatter here on the Forum about managing CHTs or fine tuning that might be done to adjust. Reading this thread I wonder if gderamel simply had wires crossed for his cylinder pairs??? I'm curious to know how it all ended with his questions.

Advice? I have read that the oil cooler has a cooling capacity that exceeds demands and that taping a percentage of that might provide more air for cooling cylinders. Or that taping or blocking some air flow at the inlet for cylinder 1 & 2 might provide more cooling air for #3 & 4.
    Last edited by jmorrical; 02-02-2024 at 12:48 PM.
    Jim Morrical