Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cooling the Carbon Cub

Default Re: Cooling the Carbon Cub

I had intended a longer response/report on the cooling since #142 was the first to leave the factory with the new cowl vents installed. While I live at moderate temps, we put ca. 20 hours on the new cub out in the desert of Yakima in early Sept. With the new cowl vents installed, tape over portions of the front two cylinders, and ca. 40% of the oil plenum covered, I simply have not seen any signs of the heating problems. The CHTs are running about equal temps at cruise... Power climp temps have not reached 410F.

Bob...your work on this has been fantastic. As one who is enjoying the fruits of your labors, a sincere thanks. I am confident in telling anyone in Montana..."what heating problem?". As an old VW owner who spent much time in Texas in a micro-bus...you will always have difficulty cooling an air-cooled engine with extremely hot air. The fact that you have accomplished this, and given us the means to follow is astounding.

After a little more travel, I will post photos of the new aircraft and how the instruments show it performing. Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    Bob...your work on this has been fantastic. As one who is enjoying the fruits of your labors, a sincere thanks.
    Thanks, but I am not done.

Now moving on to fuel injection. The Stroker 340 is a high performance engine. A fuel injection option in the Carbon Cub would be a real enhancement. Not really that expensive. Obviously, the enemy is weight.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Does anyone know how much of the oil cooler I have to cover to raise the oil temp from 180 dg to 200 dg? I covered 3 in. today someone in a previous post said that was the correct cover and I only raised the oil temp by 2dgs.
    Thanks
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Does anyone know how much of the oil cooler I have to cover to raise the oil temp from 180 dg to 200 dg? I covered 3 in. today someone in a previous post said that was the correct cover and I only raised the oil temp by 2dgs.
    Thanks
    EV
    Remember to correct your comparisons for OAT. There is about 20 square inches of exposed oil cooler on the back of the plenum. I have found covering about 7 sq inches of the oil cooler will raise the oil temperature about 20 dF.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA