Thread: Builders Foam

Default Builders Foam

In the wing manual Page 178 there is a picture of small foam blocks between the fuel tank and ribs. Described elsewhere as "builders foam," is this the same material as PVC rigid foam?

In the EAA website it is described as "Polyvinyl chloride foams (PVC) are based on the same chemistry used in common PVC water pipe material. Divinycell and Klegecell are tradenames for this type of foam. Both of these are suited for structural cores. This material is resistant to most solvents and it can withstand a high temperature."

In the original kit packing from Cubcrafters there is a soft packing foam, I presume that is not suitable and certainly different from the gray rigid foam which I know.

Default Re: Builders Foam

Quote Originally Posted by karaka29211 View Post
    In the wing manual Page 178 there is a picture of small foam blocks between the fuel tank and ribs. Described elsewhere as "builders foam," is this the same material as PVC rigid foam?

In the EAA website it is described as "Polyvinyl chloride foams (PVC) are based on the same chemistry used in common PVC water pipe material. Divinycell and Klegecell are tradenames for this type of foam. Both of these are suited for structural cores. This material is resistant to most solvents and it can withstand a high temperature."

In the original kit packing from Cubcrafters there is a soft packing foam, I presume that is not suitable and certainly different from the gray rigid foam which I know.
    I actually used some cedar "shims". These you can get from Lowes/Home Depot. They are very lightweight and varying thickness and about 1-1/2" wide and maybe 1 long. They are used by trim carpenters when installing doors etc. fuel or water won't deteriorate them. These wedges/foam are only really a temporary hold until the fabric is installed (but will obviously be keft
    in place).

i just cut some a few inches long and wedged them between the tank and rib. You will probably need 2 or 3 pieces to get a tight fit. Worked great for me.