Thread: EX-3 ? What's new

Default EX-3 ? What's new

Are there any details on the EX-3?
    Curious...

David

Default Re: EX-3 ? What's new

COMING SOON

&

Our new Carbon Cub EX-3 is an Experimental Amateur Built (E-AB) kit, and our new FX-3 is an addition to CubCrafters' FX (Factory eXperimental) builder-assist program.
    Both variants are powered by an exclusive, all-new CC363i power plant that produces 187 hp. CubCrafters developed the new engine in partnership with Superior Air Parts and Aero Sport Power, The CC363i features fuel injection from Precision Airmotive, and dual electronic ignition by Lightspeed Engineering. Most impressive is the ultra-lightweight cold-air induction system developed specically for this engine.
    New to the Carbon Cub family is the Harzell Trailblazer constant-speed propeller. This is the same composite model installed on our flagship XCub, this time in 80" or 83" lengths. The combination of the new CC363i fuel-injected engine and constant speed prop on this lightweight aircraft is simply exciting!
    Finally, the new models include upgraded fuselage and wing structures allowing an increased 2,000 lb gross weight limit, which is higher than any Carbon Cub to date.
    For more information contact your local Certified Sales Center
    To be among the first to learn about this and other develpments please subscribe to our newsletter below.

OK!!
    This is fantastic.

Can I get one for my EX-2 about to go in to the paint booth??

David

Sounds like a significant upgrade to an already great a/c. Interested to see what the extra 150lbs gross did to useful load or did structure, FI & CSU consume most of it?

The push rod control linkages from the X-cub, extra fairings and "high" speed cruise will have to wait for EX-4 or 5 😀

Good to see continuing incremental innovation. Though I would like to see stede52's extended legroom mod sooner (hint hint Mitch).

Wonder if CC will have one on display at Osh? Hope so. Packing my bag now, fly out tomorrow, not looking forward to 20 plus hours in the back end of the human mailing tubes.
    Last edited by PeterEedy; 07-14-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Does anyone on this forum have EX-3 info to share? I have an email to CC but have yet to receive a response.

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by Drofwaves View Post
    Does anyone on this forum have EX-3 info to share? I have an email to CC but have yet to receive a response.

Thanks..
    I think most everyone is at Oshkosh right now. The EX-3 will have a new fuel injected engine with 187 hp and a constant speed prop. Gross weight up to 2,000 from 1,865. Can't get much better!

OK Dave, I'll bite. You are "building and EX3"??

Soooo.... what is new?

David

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    OK Dave, I'll bite. You are "building and EX3"??

Soooo.... what is new?

David
    Weeeeell, I can't only attest to what I know as of right now. I just finished building the new EX3 wings but will have to wait for the fuse and remaining items to ship whenever the factory can get caught up.

The wings were upgraded to handle the new 2,000 gross weight. Nothing real major there except a new rear spar; some added brackets on ribs; new spar attach fittings on rear spar and totally new flap false spar.

As far as the rest of the kit I'll try and recall the things new or changed:

- Fuse will have aileron stops built into in on the bottom side instead of coming off the torque tube
    - New, redesigned, high output heat muffs with vent going to both front and rear of cabin as well as having a defrost vent
    - Will use the XCub composite multi-function stick/grip.
    - Uses XCub front cowling (shark gills)
    - 187 hp fuel injected 9-1 compression engine. I hear that 187 was VERY conservative. The flight test showed near perfect temps (during break-in even) and at 17,500 was getting still getting 600 fpm climb. Outperforms on take-off any of the Carbon Cubs (light sport; carbon cub; Xcub) and outclimbs them all. Slow flight is better than any of the others with great speed control with the new prop. Got 135 TAS at 25/25 (75% power) and 29" tires. Engine is counter-weighted crank with new upgraded engine mount with vibration isolators so very smooth.
    - Constant speed prop
    - 3X3 is standard (I think due to added weight on front of plane). Tail comes up faster due to this.

I'm sure I'm missing something but that's a few of the things.

Default Re: EX-3 ? What's ne

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Weeeeell, I can't only attest to what I know as of right now. I just finished building the new EX3 wings but will have to wait for the fuse and remaining items to ship whenever the factory can get caught up.

The wings were upgraded to handle the new 2,000 gross weight. Nothing real major there except a new rear spar; some added brackets on ribs; new spar attach fittings on rear spar and totally new flap false spar.

As far as the rest of the kit I'll try and recall the things new or changed:

- Fuse will have aileron stops built into in on the bottom side instead of coming off the torque tube
    - New, redesigned, high output heat muffs with vent going to both front and rear of cabin as well as having a defrost vent
    - Will use the XCub composite multi-function stick/grip.
    - Uses XCub front cowling (shark gills)
    - 187 hp fuel injected 9-1 compression engine. I hear that 187 was VERY conservative. The flight test showed near perfect temps (during break-in even) and at 17,500 was getting still getting 600 fpm climb. Outperforms on take-off any of the Carbon Cubs (light sport; carbon cub; Xcub) and outclimbs them all. Slow flight is better than any of the others with great speed control with the new prop. Got 135 TAS at 25/25 (75% power) and 29" tires. Engine is counter-weighted crank with new upgraded engine mount with vibration isolators so very smooth.
    - Constant speed prop
    - 3X3 is standard (I think due to added weight on front of plane). Tail comes up faster due to this.

I'm sure I'm missing something but that's a few of the things.
    Yes. the extra 40000.00

Interesting. The CC site has no further news yet.

When I began assembling my EX2 wings very little made sense as many of my parts were labled XC...... and these were not in the manual (the manual was calling for SC....... parts). That provided some "adventure included".
    Then after the XCub was announced I had the Aha! epiphany and it became clear.

So, I have an EX2 with XCub breeding and some EX3 breeding as well perhaps.

Please post a lot of pictures so we can all be envious as CC continues to evolve the platform.

David