Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 inch Extended Gear

Default Re: 3 inch Extended Gear

Averaging the last 25 aircraft off the line, separated by 3x3 (15 planes) and standard (10 planes) It looks like there is an average difference of about 15 lbs.

Or, 51 lbs for 3x3 (averaged over 15 planes) and 36 (averaged over 10 planes).

This is with a variety of options so specific airplanes varied as much as 48-55 lbs for 3x3 and 32-38 for standard gear.

All of the above weights are for level flight as weighed. The tail-wheel weight would be more sitting on the ground in three point.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks again Pete. Those are interesting numbers to ponder.

For CC11 Sport Cub/Carbon Cub:

3x3 landing gear (Same as the above 3x3 but built a little lighter for the LSA gross weight)

Pete
    See any problem with running 31s On carbon cub 3x3? not knowing how you lightened it up.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Averaging the last 25 aircraft off the line, separated by 3x3 (15 planes) and standard (10 planes) It looks like there is an average difference of about 15 lbs.

Or, 51 lbs for 3x3 (averaged over 15 planes) and 36 (averaged over 10 planes).

This is with a variety of options so specific airplanes varied as much as 48-55 lbs for 3x3 and 32-38 for standard gear.

All of the above weights are for level flight as weighed. The tail-wheel weight would be more sitting on the ground in three point.
    Pete,

I know that this is a really old e-mail thread, but I just found it using Google.

How did you derive the weights of the two gear types? Did you use a standard weight for the fuselage and wings and subtract that from total airplane weight?

In that case the weight would, of course, include the tires, wheels and brakes. 6.00 x 6, 4 ply tires plus tubes should weigh about 8 lbs per tire, and Grove wheels and brakes should weigh about 7 lbs per side, so the tires, wheels and brakes should weigh approximately 30 lbs. That would only leave 6 lbs for the gear, which can't be right since standard, 1.25" main landing gear from Atlee weighs 8.4 lbs per side.

So, how did you obtain the weight of the gear? What am I missing?

Thanks.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Pete,

I know that this is a really old e-mail thread, but I just found it using Google.

How did you derive the weights of the two gear types? Did you use a standard weight for the fuselage and wings and subtract that from total airplane weight?

In that case the weight would, of course, include the tires, wheels and brakes. 6.00 x 6, 4 ply tires plus tubes should weigh about 8 lbs per tire, and Grove wheels and brakes should weigh about 7 lbs per side, so the tires, wheels and brakes should weigh approximately 30 lbs. That would only leave 6 lbs for the gear, which can't be right since standard, 1.25" main landing gear from Atlee weighs 8.4 lbs per side.

So, how did you obtain the weight of the gear? What am I missing?

Thanks.

Mark
    Honestly, it was so long ago I don't recall. The comment "All of the above weights are for level flight as weighed." makes me think it was derived from averaging whole airplane scale weights, separated by which gear they had. Not a very scientifically accurate method but would have been something easy to do with existing data.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by geoedgerton View Post
    George, I believe all the S1's came from the factory with extended gears, ie 3" longer than the standard PA-18 gear. Check with CC. If height is what you want, install 29" tires.
    When I bought #18 I also came away believing that they all had the longer gear.

George Edgerton[/QUOTE]

3” gear has become so popular that it is probably considered to be the standard

Quote Originally Posted by Helenawe View Post
    When I bought #18 I also came away believing that they all had the longer gear.

George Edgerton

3” gear has become so popular that it is probably considered to be the standard
    Why are you bringing up an old topic, this question has long been resolved...